The surviving gunman in last month’s deadly attack on Mumbai has written Pakistani officials to ask for legal help, Indian police said today.
Rakesh Maria, Mumbai’s chief investigator, said Mohammed Ajmal Kasab wrote a letter to the Pakistani consulate on Thursday to request “legal aid”.
Kasab also asked to meet with a representative from the consulate.
Mr Maria says the letter was forwarded to India’s government to relay to Pakistani officials, but it’s unclear whether it has been delivered.
A number of Indian lawyers have refused to defend Kasab in his criminal case amid outrage over the attacks that killed 164 people in the country’s financial capital.