Jacko: 'My life is at stake'

Act Two of the Michael Jackson child molestation case gets under way this week with a new cast of lawyers taking centre stage.

Act Two of the Michael Jackson child molestation case gets under way this week with a new cast of lawyers taking centre stage.

“My life is at stake,” the pop star said as he announced the sacking his two high profile lawyers, Mark Geragos and Benjamin Brafman.

At the counsel table when court reconvenes in Santa Barbara, California, on Friday will be Thomas Mesereau, a well known advocate whose work on behalf of the downtrodden and minorities was a selling point for the superstar who has been involved in fundraising for numerous causes.

Sitting beside Mesereau will be Steve Cochran, Jackson’s long-time lawyer, and Robert Sanger who has represented Jackson in lawsuits where his Neverland ranch is located.

From his statement, it appeared that Jackson broke with Geragos because of the famed lawyer’s representation of Scott Peterson on charges that Peterson murdered his wife, Laci, and their unborn child.

Jackson felt that Geragos’ involvement in that trial, which is in jury selection, was taking up too much of his time.

“It is imperative that I have the full attention of those who are representing me. My life is at stake,” Jackson said. “Therefore, I must feel confident that my interests are of the highest priority. I am innocent of these false charges, and will aggressively seek to clear my name.

“I feel very confident that when I am able to defend myself, I will be exonerated by a jury of my peers,” Jackson said.

Jackson, 45, is charged with seven counts of lewd or lascivious conduct involving a child under 14 and with administering an intoxicant, reportedly wine, to a child under 14.

Brafman, one of New York’s top defence lawyers, declined to comment on Jackson’s statement, as did Geragos.

“I have not replaced my defence team,” Jackson said. “I have replaced the lead attorneys. And, contrary to reports, this is a decision that I have personally made.”

The statement which said flatly that Geragos and Brafman were “terminated” came a day after the lawyers said they voluntarily “stepped down” from the case for reasons they would not discuss publicly.

In a hearing yesterday by conference call, Superior Court Judge Rodney Melville approved the substitution of lead counsel.

The change comes less than a week before Jackson is due in Santa Maria Superior Court for arraignment on a grand jury indictment.

Behind the scenes, sources said that yet another lawyer had been directing the negotiations that led to the dismissal of Geragos and Brafman.

Brian Oxman, a Jackson family lawyer who has been close to Jackson’s brother, Randy, was described as having been ”at the highest level in the negotiations.”

Oxman had worked with Mesereau and knew of Jackson’s desire to have him as his lawyer.

With the return of a grand jury indictment last week, Jackson began to re-evaluate his team.

“This is a new case now, a new proceeding,” said Oxman. ”This is totally Michael’s decision. He’s concerned with everything. He’s very passionate about this. He is a smart man, a good man. He is innocent and he’s going to show he’s innocent.”

More in this section

IE_logo_newsletters

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox