Cyanide terror threat sent to New Zealand paper

A letter threatening a terrorist attack using cyanide has been sent to a New Zealand newspaper, police said today.

A letter threatening a terrorist attack using cyanide has been sent to a New Zealand newspaper, police said today.

They did not disclose the target or the timing for the attack, and immediately took the letter away for examination.

It was delivered to the New Zealand Herald in Auckland 11 days after authorities intercepted letters containing an unspecified white powder and warning of an attack on the America’s Cup sailing regatta.

The competition ended without incident on Sunday.

The new letter, which was sent on March 2, did not contain powder. However, it was signed off with similar Islamic phrases to the previous letters.

Auckland police commander Howard Broad said he was unable to say whether today’s letter was a genuine threat or a hoax, or if authorities believed it was sent by the same person as the earlier letters.

Last month, letters from a group calling itself “September 11” were posted to the British High Commission and US and Australian embassies in New Zealand, threatening to use 55lbs of cyanide against the America’s Cup. Police said they do not know whether “September 11” is a group that actually exists.

Cyanide crystals were found in one of the identical letters that was sent to the British High Commissioner Richard Fell. All contained a still-unidentified white powder. Lab tests ruled out anthrax.

More in this section

IE_logo_newsletters

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox