A Saudi-led Arab coalition that has air supremacy over Yemen has strongly denied any role in the wedding party carnage, and a coalition spokesman suggested that local militias may have fired the projectiles.
Residents said two missiles tore through tents in the Red Sea village of Al-Wahijah, near the port of Al-Mokha, where a local man affiliated with the Houthis was holding his wedding.
A medical source at a local hospital in Maqbana, where the casualties were taken, said the death toll from the attack had risen to 131, from 27 reported on Monday.
The Arab coalition began air strikes in March in a bid to drive the war’s dominant armed faction, Iranian-allied Houthi forces, out of wide swathes of the country seized since last year.
Pro-Hadi government forces backed by local militias, Gulf troop reinforcements and air raids have taken back some terrain from the Houthis including the southern port of Aden, where Hadi has set up a temporary base after returning from Saudi exile.