Boston bomber found guilty of all charges

Dzokhar Tsarnaev was yesterday found guilty of killing three people and injuring 264 others in the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing and of fatally shooting a police officer four days later.

Boston bomber found guilty of all charges

Tsarnaev, 21, was convicted of all 30 counts against him, with 17 of the charges carrying the death penalty. The same US district court jury will now decide whether to sentence him to death or life in prison without possibility of parole.

Tsarnaev silently looked down, occasionally fidgeting, as the lengthy verdict was read. The court-room was packed with survivors of the attack, the parents of 8-year-old Martin Richard, the youngest fatality, and law enforcement officials, including former Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis.

Jurors spent just over 11 hours evaluating Tsarnaev’s guilt in two days of deliberations, following 16 days of testimony.

The amount of time spent in the jury room suggests the jurors were thorough in considering the charges, said David Weinstein, an attorney.

“If this was a fait accompli, they would have been out in the amount of time it takes to shuffle through 30 pieces of paper,” Weinstein said. “Sentencing deliberations are likely to take longer.”

Defence lawyers began the trial by admitting that Tsarnaev carried out the bombing on April 15, 2013, but said he did so at the bidding of his older brother Tamerlan, 26, who died following a gunfight with police in Watertown, Massachusetts.

Prosecutors laid out evidence that the defendant, an ethnic Chechen who immigrated from Russia a decade before the attack, had read and listened to jihadist materials, and wrote a note in the boat where he was found hiding suggesting the bombing was an act of retribution for US military campaigns in Muslim-dominated countries.

The blasts killed restaurant manager Krystle Campbell, 29, Chinese exchange student Lingzi Lu, 23, and Richard. Tsarnaev also was found guilty of the fatal shooting of Massachusetts of Institute of Technology police officer Sean Collier, 26.

The trial began in early March after a two-month jury selection process. It has dredged up some of the worst memories in living memory in Boston.

The twin pressure-cooker bombs ripped through the crowd of spectators at the race’s finish line.

More in this section

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox