IS ‘kills 28 Kurds and Iraqi chief of police’

Suspected Islamic State bombers assassinated an Iraqi provincial police chief and killed 28 people in an attack on a Kurdish security headquarters yesterday a second straight day of mass attacks that killed scores.

IS ‘kills 28 Kurds and Iraqi chief of police’

The two attacks, in the north of the country and the west, showed the jihadist group’s ability to inflict damage on both the forces of the autonomous Kurdish region and the central government, despite US-led air strikes.

Islamic State claimed responsibility for the suicide bombing of a Kurdish security compound in the north, saying it had sent three foreign bombers: a German, a Saudi and a Turk, according to SITE, a group that monitors jihadi announcements.

Hospital sources said Kurdish Peshmerga security forces and civilians were among the 28 killed in the attack in Qara Tappa, a mainly Kurdish town in the north of Diyala province, an ethnically and religiously-mixed battleground area.

As many as 90 people were wounded in the attack, which hit an administrative compound of Kurds that control the area.

In the east, a blast killed the chief of police of Anbar province, the mainly Sunni region of the Euphrates valley that has been one of the main battlefields between government forces and Islamic State fighters for months.

A security source said the attack was a shock because it took place in an area that had seemed to be under government control.

In a separate incident yesterday, two bombs at a market in Diyala’s provincial capital Baquba kill at least six civilians and wounded 10, a police source said.

Yesterday’s attacks came a day after militants killed at least 45 people in bombings in west Baghdad and its rural outskirts. Islamic State militants have controlled sections of Anbar province for most of this year and swept through northern Iraq back in June. The group also controls a swathe of Syria. - Reuters

‘Real story’

The Islamic State has published an article allegedly written by British hostage John Cantlie. The lengthy piece was included in the fourth issue of Islamic State’s Dabiq magazine and carries the headline: “The real story behind my videos.”

Cantlie, a photojournalist who has worked for newspapers including The Sunday Times, has featured in several propaganda videos released by the Islamic extremists in recent weeks. In the article — which was published online — he insists that he produces the scripts for the videos and calls on the British Government to negotiate his release.

It includes a photograph of Mr Cantlie appearing to wear the now-familiar orange outfit worn by other IS hostages. The title of the publication, Dabiq, is taken from the name of a small town in northern Syria close to the border with Turkey. Mr Cantlie’s father, Paul, has said his son was seized in northern Syria where he had been working as an independent photojournalist. ends

More in this section

IE_logo_newsletters

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox