Having licked poisonous coolant from his owner Jacinta Rosewarne’s garage, Maltese terrier Charlie’s life was hanging in the balance until a quick thinking vet administered the miracle cure — a bottle of vodka.
The terrier was hooked up to a drip for two days to counter the ethylene glycol poisoning he was suffering from.
“I just wasn’t expecting the end result which was a very drunk little puppy; it had no idea what was going on,” said Rosewarne.
By altering the anti-freeze chemicals, the vodka allowed Charlie’s body to flush them out of his system and start down the road to recovery.
“He was stumbling around, I’d go to pat him and he’d push me away like a normal drunk person, he was whining a little; whining like a drunk,” his owner told the Herald Sun.
“I thought it was hilarious... It was distressing but hilarious at the same time,” she added.
The hair of the dog may well have been called for as Charlie recovered from his weekend bender.
“He just slept and slept and slept.
“I tried to wake him up for a walk but he just sat down after 50 metres... I had to pick him up and carry him home,” added Rosewarne.
When it comes to weekend long vodka binges, humans and canines are not too dissimilar it seems.