Mumbai attacks gunman admits guilt

THE lone surviving gunman in the Mumbai attacks pleaded guilty and gave a detailed account of the plot and his role in the rampage along with 10 gunmen that left 166 people dead and paralysed the city for three days.

In a verbal statement, Ajmal Kasab described his group’s journey from Karachi, Pakistan on a boat, their subsequent landing in Mumbai, India’s financial capital, on November 26, and his assault on a railway station and a hospital with a comrade he identified as Abu Ismail.

The other gunmen, also armed with automatic rifles and grenades, attacked a Jewish centre and two five-star hotels, including the Taj Mahal. The rampage ended at the historic hotel days later after commandos killed the attackers holed up there.

“I was firing and Abu was hurling hand grenades [at the railway station],” Kasab told the court. “We both fired, me and Abu Ismail. We fired on the public.”

Earlier Kasab, aged 21, stood up before the special court hearing his case just as a prosecution witness was to take the stand and addressed the judge. “Sir, I plead guilty to my crime,” he said, triggering a collective gasp in the courtroom.

The statement was recorded and signed by Kasab, formally reversing his plea from not guilty to guilty in the trial that started April 17.

Before coming to India, Kasab said he lived in a house in Karachi for almost two months with 10 other young men. All of them were transferred to another home and taken to sea where they met four handlers. One of them was an Indian named Abu Zundal, he said.

After attacking the railway station and hospital, Kasab said he and Ismail drove to a nearby beach in a hijacked vehicle. He was later captured by police after a shootout in which Isamil was killed. He was treated for wounds and has since been held in solitary confinement in a Mumbai jail.

Kasab said his confession was not coerced. “There is no pressure on me. I am making the statement of my own will,” he said.

The confession was a big boost to India’s claims that terrorist groups in Pakistan were behind the attack, and that Islamabad was not doing enough to clamp down on them. Pakistan has acknowledged the Mumbai attacks were partly plotted on its soil, severely straining relations between the two nuclear-armed archrivals.

Asked by judge ML Tahiliyani why he confessed now after consistently denying his role, Kasab said it was because the Pakistani government recently acknowledged he was a Pakistani citizen, dealing a blow to his defence.

“If Pakistan has accepted me as its citizen, then end this case and punish me for my crime,” he said. “My request is that we end the trial and I be sentenced.”

Tahiliyani said no immediate judgment would be issued and the trial will resume today.

“Everybody in the court was shocked the moment he said he accepts his crime. It was unexpected,” public prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam said. “We have finally extracted the truth.”

“Everyone is surprised. I am also surprised,” said defence lawyer Abbas Kazmi.

Monday’s development came days after Pakistan gave a dossier to India with details of its investigation into the terrorist groups that New Delhi claims were responsible.

Late last month the special court also issued arrest warrants for 22 Pakistani nationals accused of masterminding the attacks. India blames Pakistan-based Islamist militant group Lashkar-e-Taiba.

More in this section

IE_logo_newsletters

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox