Irishman’s US manslaughter charge ‘vindictive’
William Monaghan, who has been in a San Francisco jail since his arrest nine months ago, was acquitted of murder two weeks ago and had been hoping for a deal that would allow him to return home.
But after defence and prosecutors met a number of times, the San Francisco District Attorney’s office announced no deal had been reached and that 27-year-old Mr Monaghan will face manslaughter charges next month.
Mr Monaghan was acquitting of murdering 30-year-old computer animator Lionel Voillat by throwing him overboard the cruise ship and into San Francisco Bay during a
Hallowe’en party last year.The jury voted 10-2 in favour of acquitting him of murder.
The majority of the jury members did not believe a crime was not committed after the defence argued that Mr Monaghan, from Oldcastle in Co Meath, acted in self-defence after he was hit first by the victim.
Mr Monaghan’s defence lawyer Kenneth Quigley said the decision was “vindictive” and described the deal offered by prosecutors - that Monaghan should plead guilty to voluntary manslaughter - as “ridiculous” and “insulting”.
His defence wanted prosecutors to agree to involuntary manslaughter, to take into account time already spent in jail and for the defendant to be released to allow him to return home.
Mr Quigley said he expected Mr Monaghan to be acquitted of all charges at the next trial, which starts on July 21. Mr Monaghan, a carpenter who had been working illegally on the west coast, remains in jail in lieu of $5m bail.




