First victory of the season for Burnley

Burnley 1 Hull 0

First victory of the season for Burnley

Burnley 1 Hull 0

Burnley finally claimed their first win of the season as Ashley Barnes’ header steered them to a 1-0 victory over Hull at Turf Moor.

In what was their 11th Barclays Premier League game of the campaign, the decisive moment came for the Clarets in the 50th minute when Barnes connected with Kieran Trippier’s cross.

They might have scored earlier, with Danny Ings shooting narrowly wide early on before being denied by a Steve Harper parry, the loose ball then being sent back towards his own goal by Paul McShane and cleared off the line by Robbie Brady.

They were then playing against 10 men for the final 20 minutes – Hull captain Curtis Davies having been forced off with an injury when his side had already made three substitutions – but Sean Dyche’s team could not add to their tally.

That will not bother Burnley fans, who had not celebrated a Premier League win for their team since May 2010.

And while Dyche’s side remain bottom of the table, they are now only two points from safety, having taken their total to seven. Hull – who have not scored in three straight games – stay two points clear of the drop zone in 14th place.

Burnley almost had a goal in the opening minute when the ball was lofted forward and Ings got the better of his marker James Chester before hooking just wide of the far post as Harper came out to meet him.

Soon after, Abel Hernandez tried to carve out room for a shot at the other end and sent a tame effort off-target.

Hull were on the attack again four minutes later when Michael Duff gave the ball away and Sone Aluko burst forward, but his progress was halted in the box by a fine challenge from Clarets skipper Jason Shackell.

Burnley’s ex-Hull man George Boyd then saw a scuffed shot easily collected by Harper, before the hosts went the closest yet to breaking the deadlock.

From a corner, the ball came to Ings and his shot brought a great save out of Harper. The rebound was nearly sliced into his own net by McShane, but Brady was on hand to hack the ball off the line.

Burnley fans subsequently appealed for a penalty when Brady tackled Scott Arfield in the box, but referee Mark Clattenburg gave a free-kick on the edge of the area instead for a foul by McShane on Barnes, and the set-piece amounted to nothing.

Dyche’s team seemed to be gifted a corner five minutes later as Harper inadvertently carried the ball over the touchline as he made a catch, but again, they could not make the opening count for anything.

Ings tried to embarrass Harper further towards the end of the first half, attempting to catch the goalkeeper off his line with a shot from inside the Burnley half, but his ambitious effort lacked accuracy, and McShane then sent a header over just before the whistle for the break.

The Clarets continued to probe at the start of the second half and got their reward five minutes in when Barnes rose to crash home Trippier’s cross.

It was Barnes’ first goal of the season, and the first time his side had even led a game since their campaign-opening 3-1 loss here to Chelsea.

Hull boss Steve Bruce responded by making three substitutions, bringing on Stephen Quinn, Gaston Ramirez and Hatem Ben Arfa for Aluko, Tom Huddlestone and Chester, before Boyd controlled the ball from a Harper punch and lashed it into the stand.

Davies was similarly well off-target as he miscued an acrobatic effort, and his afternoon’s work then came to an early end as he had to depart the field injured, leaving Hull a player short.

Hernandez fired a warning with a turn and shot wide, but Hull could not muster much else. Neither could Burnley, despite the man advantage, but when the final whistle was blown by Clattenburg – who made a late flurry of bookings – they had done enough.

More in this section

Sport Push Notifications

By clicking on 'Sign Up' you will be the first to know about our latest and best sporting content on this browser.

Sign Up

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up
Cookie Policy Privacy Policy FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Irish Examiner Ltd