North scores twice as Drogheda defeated

Danny North scored twice as Sligo Rovers beat Drogheda United 3-1 at Hunky Dorys Park to stretch their lead at the top of the Premier Division table to four points.

Danny North scored twice as Sligo Rovers beat Drogheda United 3-1 at Hunky Dorys Park to stretch their lead at the top of the Premier Division table to four points.

Defender Gavin Peers put Sligo in front on ten minutes with North doubling that advantage in the 35th minute when stabbing home Ross Gaynor's cross.

Declan O'Brien got Drogheda back into the match when pulling a goal back four minutes later. But North sealed a deserved win for Sligo with his second of the night ten minutes form time - the Englishman's ninth goal of the league season.

Sligo remain unbeaten ahead of champions Shamrock Rovers visit to the Showgrounds next week.

Rovers were booed off at the end of their clash with UCD as the lowly Students snatched a point with a stoppage time equaliser in a thrilling 2-2 draw at Tallaght Stadium.

A Billy Dennehy free kick and another strike from distance from Daryl Kavanagh appeared to have Rovers in control by half-time.

But UCD got a goal back from a Graham Rusk penalty on 59 minutes and midfielder Paul O'Conor scored in stoppage time to earn College an unlikely point.

St. Patrick's Athletic maintained their unbeaten start to the season to move second in the table thanks to a deserved 2-0 win at Derry City.

Substitute Darren Meenan headed St. Pat's in front on 42 minutes with winger Sean O'Connor sealing the points on 64 minutes when his long-range shot squirmed past the usually reliable Ger Doherty in the Derry goal.

A brace from winger Davin O'Neill gave Cork City back-to-back wins for the first time this season as they beat Dundalk 3-2 at Turner's Cross.

The sides swapped four goals inside an incredible opening 14 minutes.

O'Neill volleyed Cork ahead on three minutes. But Dundalk replied to score twice inside five minutes to stun the home crowd.

Michael Rafter levelled when his shot from distance beat Mark McNulty before fellow striker Gary Shanahan punished sloppy defending to put Dundalk ahead in the 12th minute.

But O'Neill struck again to equalise for Cork two minutes later when racing clear onto Kalen Spillane's through ball.

Vinny Sullivan, their match winner at Shelbourne last week, then won it for Cork with a header five minutes into the second half.

Goals from Paddy Kavanagh and David Cassidy saw Shelbourne come from behind to beat bottom side Monaghan United 2-1 at Tolka Park.

Willo McDonagh fired Monaghan in front against the run of play from a 54th minute penalty.

But dominant Shelbourne responded well and levelled when Kavanagh tapped home seven minutes later.

Captain Cassidy then won it for the home side when skipping clear to lob keeper Michael Schlingermann on 71 minutes.

Jason Byrne scored his sixth goal of the season as Bray Wanderers beat Bohemians 2-1 at the Carlisle grounds, with a winner from fellow veteran Danny O'Connor.

Striker Byrne put Bray in front on 14 minutes when shooting home off a post.

Bohs hit back on the half hour through Dinny Corcoran who headed home a Keith Ward cross.

Bray then won it with a goal on the hour mark. John Mulroy headed the ball across goal and defender O'Connor got the final touch to beat Craig Sexton in the Bohs goal.

More in this section


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox