No problems for Wexford

London 0-9 Wexford 4-22

London 0-9 Wexford 4-22

Wexford put in a workmanlike display as they coasted into the second round of the All-Ireland qualifiers at Ruislip this afternoon.

London, who took an early lead through Scott Conroy, were left trailing by 2-12 to 0-4 at half-time.

PJ Banville, the game’s top scorer with 2-3, and Aindreas Doyle helped themselves to goals in the opening half, and Shane Roche and Banville found the Exiles’ net after the restart.

Matty Forde tallied up 0-8 by the finish, with four of his scores from placed balls.

Wexford manager Jason Ryan, who lined out for London during his playing days, named an unchanged starting line-up for the trip across the Irish Sea.

There were a couple of positional switches to the side that lost to Dublin, with Redmond Barry moved to the left wing and Shane Roche stationed at full-forward. Forde retained his place at centre-forward.

Roscommon native Conor Beirne once again led by example for London but the gulf in class was evident in the early stages. Answering Conroy's opener, Forde kicked two frees and wing back Aindreas Doyle also raided forward for an early point.

Colm Morris was involved in the build-up to Wexford's opening goal, scored by Banville from close range, and Forde followed up with his third point to make it 1-4 to 0-2.

In sweltering conditions, Wexford showed no mercy as they foraged into a match-winning lead by the break.

Ciaran Lyng added his name to the scoresheet and then provided the assist for the visitors' second goal, Doyle bursting forward to slot past goalkeeper Evan Byrne on his left hand side. Further scores from Banville, Roche, Forde, Lyng and Brian Malone left London 14 points adrift.

In what was a good workout ahead of tomorrow's second round draw, Wexford maintained a high level of football into the second half, which was kickstarted by a point from Lyng after only 15 seconds.

The Model men killed off any lasting hopes London had when Banville got loose from his marker to take a pass from Barry and right-foot beyond Byrne in the London goal.

Barry threaded a clever ball in again for Roche to finish Wexford's fourth goal to the net, the full-forward ending the game with 1-2.

More in this section


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox