City stay unbeaten in UEFA Cup

Manchester City 0 Paris St Germain 0

Manchester City 0 Paris St Germain 0

Mark Hughes saw his Manchester City side maintain their unbeaten record in the UEFA Cup group stages at Eastlands.

But after the exertions of the derby against Manchester United – and a morale-sapping defeat – they were running on empty in the last 20 minutes.

City, however, could have put the game to bed in the first quarter when they should have been two goals to the good.

Welsh boss Hughes must have been alarmed at how wasteful his side were in the opening stages.

The first chance fell to Daniel Sturridge in the fifth minute when Elano released him with a defence-splitting pass.

Sturridge raced on but the ball got away from him and goalkeeper Mickael Landreau was able to make the clearance.

Sturridge was left frustrated at seeing that chance go begging and City squandered another good opportunity in the 13th minute when Jo sent Darius Vassell clear.

Vassell had only the goalkeeper to beat but showed a lack of confidence by dragging his effort wide of the post.

There were groans of disapproval from the home supporters after City again failed to capitalise on a clear chance.

Sturridge then got on the end of a cross from Javier Garrido but as he shaped to shoot the ball was taken off his toes.

Elano tried his luck with a free-kick from an acute angle in the 31st minute but only succeeded in sending his effort wide of the target.

PSG were showing little ambition and looked content to play on the counter even though they need points to advance to the last 32.

City were struggling to break them down and Hughes was continually out and about in the technical area trying to urge his players on.

Stephen Ireland tried to put Vassell away in the 41st minute but put too much weight on the pass and Landreau booted the ball to safety.

Then Zabaleta picked out Jo but his weak header from close range did not give the goalkeeper too much difficulty.

Two minutes later, Landreau did well to parry Zabaleta’s effort around the post after Vassell had pulled the ball back.

PSG responded immediately and former Chelsea striker Mateja Kezman was clear in the penalty area but Tal Ben Haim made a superb block.

Sturridge then tried his luck on goal in the 48th minute but his effort whistled past the post.

PSG hit back nine minutes later when Peguy Luyindula stung goalkeeper Joe Hart’s fingers with a 25-yard drive.

Vassell was wasteful a minute later after substitute Benjani Mwaruwari and Ireland linked up.

He got into a good position on the edge of the area but failed to test Landreau, hoisting his effort high over the bar.

Play broke down the other end and Kezman, on loan to PSG from Fenerbahce, skipped past Ireland, only to send a poor shot off target.

City were caught napping in the 63rd minute and Luyindula raced clear only for Hart to divert his effort to safety.

PSG had suddenly stepped up the pace and the impressive Luyindula released Guillaume Hoarau in the 73rd minute.

But he somehow clipped his shot the wrong side of the post when it seemed easier to score.

Hoarau then got clear in the 82nd minute, only to send his cross behind Luyindula and City held out to finish on level terms.

More in this section

Price info

Subscribe to unlock unlimited digital access.
Cancel anytime.

Terms and conditions apply


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox