Galaxy concerned by Beckham call-up

Los Angeles Galaxy general manager Alexi Lalas sees no reason why David Beckham’s forthcoming move to America should preclude him from being selected for England – although he would prefer it if the midfielder was not picked too often.

Los Angeles Galaxy general manager Alexi Lalas sees no reason why David Beckham’s forthcoming move to America should preclude him from being selected for England – although he would prefer it if the midfielder was not picked too often.

Beckham earned a recall to the international side when Steve McClaren – the man who dropped the former captain after last year’s World Cup – named him in his squad for the friendly against Brazil on June 1 and the Euro 2008 qualifier against Estonia.

The 32-year-old is set to move to Major League Soccer with Galaxy when his contract with Real Madrid expires at the end of June.

Many have criticised McClaren for selecting a player who will no longer be playing in one of the world’s top leagues but Lalas believes the snipers are misguided.

“We understand we are still a developing league but I refuse to think a player cannot come to Major League Soccer and develop as well, if not better, than in other leagues in the world,” he said.

“If he is lucky enough to be called up while he is playing with the Galaxy, I believe England will be getting a player who is physically and mentally fit and going through a unique experience that is ultimately going to make him a better player.

“But he probably can’t win either way. If he misses a cross or doesn’t score a goal people will say it’s because he is playing in America for the Galaxy. If he does do well people will say it is because he is a brilliant player and it doesn’t matter where he is playing.”

However, Beckham’s international commitments may put him on a collision course with his new club if he enjoys a sustained spell in McClaren’s squad.

Galaxy have sold thousands of season tickets on the back of his arrival but with England matches coming up against Israel, Russia twice and Estonia – with the possibilities of friendlies in between – he would be needed on this side of the Atlantic.

“From a business perspective it is not the greatest news because we are selling the team with David Beckham and a lot of people are excited to see him play with the Galaxy,” Lalas told BBC Radio Five’s Sportsweek programme.

“I don’t want to stand in the way of a player representing his country but we have to be prudent and understand they have to be the appropriate games. I would think they would have to be competitive matches.

“If it works out scheduling-wise, we would be happy to let him go. But he has a responsibility on and off the field to our organisation and to our support. I think he is excited about pursuing that responsibility.

“He recognises that responsibility to the Galaxy and to the sport in the United States. I represented my country and I know what it means. It is something above money, it is something you take with you forever.

“I would never stand in the way of a player doing that as long as it is reasonable and they understand they have responsibilities to the club.

“But we have a responsibility to make sure David’s health is looked after. This is a hell of a trip he is going to be taking by coming to the United States and it can take its toll.”

x

More in this section

Sport

Newsletter

Sign up to our daily sports bulletin, delivered straight to your inbox at 5pm. Subscribers also receive an exclusive email from our sports desk editors every Friday evening looking forward to the weekend's sporting action.

Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Brand Safety FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited