Blatter: Webster no Bosman

FIFA president Sepp Blatter insists the Andy Webster case will not become football’s new Bosman ruling.

FIFA president Sepp Blatter insists the Andy Webster case will not become football’s new Bosman ruling.

The international players’ union FIFPro claim Webster’s move from Hearts to Wigan has opened the floodgates for players who want to buy themselves out of their contracts.

However, Blatter insists last week’s verdict by the Dispute Resolution Panel ruled that 25-year-old defender Webster had been in breach of his contract – and he had to pay compensation.

Blatter told a media briefing in Zurich: “There was a breach of contract and the Dispute Resolution Chamber said Webster will have to pay this compensation to Hearts and he has been suspended for the first two matches of the new season with his new club.

“It was considered a breach of contract.”

More in this section

Sport

Newsletter

Sign up to our daily sports bulletin, delivered straight to your inbox at 5pm. Subscribers also receive an exclusive email from our sports desk editors every Friday evening looking forward to the weekend's sporting action.

Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Brand Safety FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited