Sunderland slump to fourth defeat

Sunderland’s dismal start to the season continued as they slumped to the bottom of the Coca-Cola Championship with a 3-1 loss to promoted Southend.

Sunderland’s dismal start to the season continued as they slumped to the bottom of the Coca-Cola Championship with a 3-1 loss to promoted Southend.

Niall Quinn’s side are still to register a point after two goals from Adam Barrett and another from Lee Bradbury at Roots Hall condemned them to a fourth successive defeat.

Sunderland did manage a late goal through Jon Stead but it was barely consolation for the dejected Wearsiders.

By contrast Birmingham, who were relegated alongside Sunderland last season, have made a fine start in the Championship and now occupy top spot after ending Crystal Palace’s 100% record.

Blues snatched a 2-1 victory at St Andrews with a last-gasp goal from substitute Sebastian Larsson.

Palace had taken an early lead through Jobi McAnuff on 11 minutes but Nicklas Bendtner – who like Larsson is on loan from Arsenal – levelled midway through the first half.

Cardiff moved up to second place with a 1-0 win over Leeds at Elland Road, courtesy of a late Willo Flood goal.

Flood settled a tight contest after 83 minutes but Cardiff finished the game with 10 men after Darren Purse was dismissed in the last minute for violent conduct.

Burnley suffered their first defeat as debutant Jemal Johnson gave Wolves a 1-0 win at Turf Moor.

The American striker, signed this week from Blackburn, showed pace and finished clinically after 19 minutes.

Nathan Ellington and Ronnie Wallwork were on target as West Brom ran out 2-1 winners over Colchester.

Ellington opened the scoring at The Hawthorns with an 11th-minute penalty before Wallwork doubled the lead late in the first half.

Jamie Guy gave United late hope but the Baggies held on.

Grzegorz Rasiak hit a brace as Southampton came from behind twice to draw 2-2 at Barnsley.

Marc Richards gave Barnsley the lead with a fierce strike late in the first half but Rasiak put Saints level soon after the restart.

A Paul Hayes penalty put the Tykes back ahead on 71 minutes but Rasiak hit back again with a penalty of his own three minutes later.

Luton’s clash with Stoke also finished 2-2 after Luke Chadwick pegged back the Hatters in the 70th minute at Kenilworth Road.

Luton had led 2-1 after responding to Peter Sweeney’s 10th-minute effort with two goals in the space of six second-half minutes from Leon Barnett and Richard Langley, the latter a penalty.

Burton O’Brien earned Sheffield Wednesday a 2-1 win over Plymouth with an 83rd-minute strike at Home Park.

Sean McAllister had equalised for the Owls after Paul Wotton had put the hosts ahead from the spot.

Paul McKenna scored an 86th-minute equaliser as Preston claimed a 1-1 draw against QPR at Deepdale. Rangers had led since Gareth Ainsworth struck on five minutes.

Derby’s encounter with Norwich ended goalless while Hull and Ipswich finally earned their first points by drawing 0-0 at Portman Road.

More in this section


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox