Charlton are to attempt to ban Manchester United fans from the Valley after claims a female member of staff was sexually assaulted and a steward was injured during Saturday’s 3-1 defeat.
A male United fan was arrested and charged with sexual assault on Saturday afternoon, and spent the weekend in police custody – one of six away fans arrested.
The female member of staff had been helping disabled fans in the away end and was in the area to the rear of the stand when the assault is said to have occurred.
Charlton chief executive Peter Varney said: “I have never heard of anything like this at a football match before, and we would like to thank those Manchester United fans who witnessed it, and came forward to make statements to the police.”
Three of the six arrested were fans who encroached on to the pitch after United’s second goal, when scorer Ruud Van Nistelrooy headed a group of United players towards the visiting fans to celebrate.
This led to a large number of United supporters surging forward, causing a metal gate to break and crushing a steward.
“I think, when we see the reports from the police and the local authority, it will leave us with little alternative but to refuse to sell tickets to Manchester United fans for future games at The Valley,” Varney added.
“I’d rather have the away end empty than run the risk of further incidents like those we saw on Saturday.”