Oldham pull of Cup shock with win over City

League One Oldham pulled off a famous FA Cup shock by knocking out Premiership Manchester City – 50 league places above the Boundary Park club.

Oldham 1 Manchester City 0

League One Oldham pulled off a famous FA Cup shock by knocking out Premiership Manchester City – 50 league places above the Boundary Park club.

Scott Vernon sidefooted home David Eyres’ 16th-minute left-wing cross to send the home crowd into raptures.

Antoine Sibierski should have equalised in the 51st minute with a close-range header which was well saved by Les Pogliacomi.

City manager Kevin Keegan had picked both Shaun Wright-Phillips and half-brother Bradley in his starting line-up.

Bradley Wright-Phillips and the returning Danny Mills were the only two changes made to the side which drew 1-1 with Arsenal in the Barclays Premiership on Tuesday, with Robbie Fowler left out and Nedum Onuoha dropped to the bench.

Captain Sylvain Distin, for whom the club rejected a £5m (€7.5m) bid from Newcastle yesterday, was included but Nicolas Anelka, attracting interest from Turkish club Fenerbahce, was out with a back injury.

The League One side made just one change with Eyres coming in for ankle ligament victim Dean Holden.

The match at the second-highest ground in the country had been in some doubt up to a couple of hours before kick-off as 80mph winds had ripped off advertising hoardings, making least one of the stands dangerous before remedial work was carried out.

City, kicking into a strong wind, were always going to be disadvantaged but the way Oldham started really gave them cause for concern.

In the third minute Distin fouled Vernon five yards outside the penalty area and Eyres’ free-kick was deflected off the wall for a corner.

The same player took the corner, swinging it in from the right, and helped by the wind it beat David James and curled into the far corner – although the effort was ruled out for an infringement just seconds before.

City’s first effort came when Ben Thatcher found space on the left to cross for Joey Barton but the midfielder drilled his right-footed shot wide from inside the penalty area.

However, Boundary Park erupted after 16 minutes when Neil Kilkenny’s searching pass picked out Eyres on the left wing and he slid an inch-perfect pass across the six-yard area for Vernon to side-foot home.

Most of the best attacking football was coming from the home side, and the driving rain which began midway through the half would have done nothing to improve the City players’ mood.

Distin’s diving header denied Kevin Betsy before City won their first corner, which was wasted by Joey Barton who failed to clear the first man at the near post.

Nine minutes from the interval, Vernon had a chance to make it 2-0 but drove another left-wing cross straight at James.

Eyres then came to the rescue at the other end by heading off the line from Shaun Wright-Phillips’ lob with three minutes to go in the half, before Jon Macken’s drive landed safely in goalkeeper Pogliacomi’s midriff.

Incredibly, Oldham could have doubled their lead just two minutes after the re-start.

Mark Hughes’ through-ball sent Betsy clear, but his clever lob landed on top of – rather than in – the City goal.

Sibierski should have equalised in the 51st minute when his close-range downward header at the far post was well saved by Pogliacomi.

Barton then placed a shot wide of the Oldham goalkeeper’s left-hand post as City stepped up the pressure.

The visitors sent on Steve McManaman and Willo Flood for Bradley Wright-Phillips and Sibierski but they could not rescue Keegan’s side.

More in this section


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox