Dundalk on march again as they dispatch Finn Harps

Dundalk 3 Finn Harps 0
Dundalk on march again as they dispatch Finn Harps

Stephen Kenny’s side are aiming to become only the third team in League of Ireland history to win three titles in-a-row and it’s a case of so far so good as they look to have continued from where they left off last season.

The home side got off to the best possible start when Paddy Barrett headed a Darren Meenan corner to the net via the post after just 16 minutes.

Indeed, the same combination should have doubled the advantage just three minutes later with Meenan’s inswinging free picking out Barrett unmarked, but on this occasion the centre-half failed to find the target.

Just before half-time Dundalk threatened again with another Meenan free kick being flicked on by Patrick McEleney only for him to be denied by the butt of the post.

Ollie Horgan’s visitors did go close to an equaliser five minutes after the restart when Ryan Curran got a shot away from the edge of the box that flashed just wide.

However, that miss was to prove costly when McEleney made it 2-0 in the 59th minute, side-footing home his first league goal for his new club after a brilliant cut back from the left by Dane Massey.

Buoyed by that strike Dundalk pushed forward with Richard Brush having to be alert to prevent Damien McNulty from turning the ball into his own net before Ronan Finn went close with a shot from range.

The result was put beyond doubt 14 minutes from time, however, when Daryl Horgan’s corner was turned into his own net by the unfortunate Curran.

Things then went from bad to worse for the Donegal men when full back Ciaran Coll was stretchered off by a medical team following a clash of heads, meaning the visitors played the closing minutes with 10 men.

DUNDALK: Rogers; Gannon, Barrett, Boyle, Massey; Meenan (Mountney 70), Shields, Finn, Horgan, McEleney (Benson 76); Kilduff (McMillan 72). Subs not used: Gartland, O’Donnell, Mountney, Grimes, Sava.

FINN HARPS: Brush; Boyle, McNulty, Cowen, Coll; Scully, Foy, Funston, Harkin (McHugh 78), Hanlon (Flatley 67); Curran (Crossan 78). Subs not used: McNamee, McMonagle, McConnell, McCarron.

Referee: R Matthews (Mullingar).

More in this section


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox