Corcoran and Delany deny City


Corcoran and Delany deny City

HAVING thought he’d done it with both goals in last Friday’s 2-2 draw at Turner’s Cross, Dinny Corcoran’s lone strike finally proved sufficient in this replay at Dalymount Park last night as Bohemians booked their place in this evening’s quarter-final draw of the FAI Ford Cup.

The result was harsh on Cork who enjoyed good possession, but could find no way past Dean Delany, who was inspired in the closing stages.

While Bohemians brought both Derek Pender and Roberto Lopes back into their starting 11, Cork made just the one change, with John Kavanagh starting instead of the injured Michael McSweeney.

Kicking themselves that they couldn’t hang on for the win at Turner’s Cross in the first game, Bohemians were focused from the off, carving the first opening with just 90 seconds on the watch.

Karl Moore cut in from the left to set up Eoin Wearen who arrowed a shot wide of Mark McNulty’s left-hand post.

Cork responded, forcing a couple of corners before Delany had to make a save from his own defender Lopes.

But it was McNulty who was the first keeper to be really worked when he went full stretch to push Kevin Devaney’s 25-yard drive round a post on eight minutes.

Cork, though, were passing it well and enjoying the better possession, much of it down their left flank through Billy Dennehy.

Bohs had to reorganise on 26 minutes when central defender Dan Byrne was taken off on a stretcher with apparent knee ligament damage after a challenge with Mark O’Sullivan.

The City striker then brought an agile save low down from Delany a minute later, with Dave Mulcahy, who had dropped back from midfield, hacking the loose ball clear, as Cork maintained their dominant start.

Despite being the better side, however, Cork were rocked back on their heels on 39 minutes when the most incisive move of the half brought what would prove the Bohs winner.

Lopes did well on the overlap after Devaney held the ball up well. The low cross was struck by Jason Byrne with the ball pinballing towards Corcoran whose somewhat inadvertent touch saw it trickle over the line at the back post.

With additional striker Danny Morrissey on from the start of the second half, Cork injected further impetus to their play and were close to levelling four minutes in when Delany did well to parry away Garry Buckley’s shot on the turn.

Devaney did something similar, if a little further out, as he drilled a shot wide at the other end minutes later.

Delany and the woodwork then denied Cork. Billy Dennehy’s tenacious run got him in behind to shoot. The busy Bohs keeper parried, but the ball ricocheted off Dennehy to come back and hit a post.

Delany was there once more to thwart Cork with perhaps the save of the game on 81 minutes. Gearoid Morrisey hit a left foot drive from some 30 yards which Delany adjusting himself well to save with one hand before scrambling back to gather the ball at the butt of a post.

Cork had one last chance three minutes into stoppage time. Again, though, Delany was there to save from Colin Healy’s free kick.

BOHEMIANS: Delany; Lopes, D. Byrne (Walsh, 26), Price, Pender; Devaney, Mulcahy, Wearen, Moore (Buckley, 90+1); Byrne (Evans, 66), Corcoran.

CORK CITY: McNulty; Kavanagh (Kearney, 79), Murray, D. Dennehy, Dunleavy; Healy; O’Shea (D. Morrissey, h/t), G. Morrissey, Buckley, B. Dennehy; O’Sullivan (Morrison, 63).

Referee: Neil Doyle (Dublin).

More in this section


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox