Early goals set up a stress-free Celtic win

Champions League 2nd round qualifier 2nd leg

Early goals set up a stress-free Celtic win

Celtic eased through to the Champions League third qualifying round with an emphatic win over KR Reykjavik at Murrayfield in Edinburgh last night.

Leading 1-0 from the first leg in Iceland, Celtic wasted little time finishing off the game.

In the 13th minute Kris Commons’ corner was headed towards goal by skipper Charlie Mulgrew and, with keeper Stefan Magnusson flailing, the ball appeared to come off Virgil Van Dijk’s knee and into the net.

The Hoops’ second also came from a corner and when the ball landed at right-back Mikael Lustig at the far side of the box, he guided his header towards the back post where Van Dijk headed into an empty net.

The visiting goalkeeper redeemed himself a little in the 24th minute with fine save from Striker Teemu Pukki’s powerful drive but three minutes later he was helpless as the Parkhead forward got on the scoresheet, when he slid the ball in from two yards.

The Hoops kept a firm grip on proceedings in the second half, with Pukki adding a fine fourth in the 71st minute.

Celtic will now face St Patrick’s Athletic or Polish side Legia Warsaw, who face off tonight.

CELTIC: Forster, Lustig, Ambrose, van Dijk, Izaguirre (Matthews 61), Griffiths (Kayal 61), Johansen, Mulgrew, McGregor, Commons, Pukki (Henderson 72).

KR REYKJAVIK: Magnusson, Haukur Hauksson, Josepsson, Gretar Sigurdsson, Gunnar Thor Gunnarsson, Finnbogason, Saevarsson (Zato-Arouna 57), Baldur Sigurdsson, Atlason (Ormarsson 46), Lorenzo (E Jonsson 72), Martin.

Referee: Andris Treimanis (Latvia).

More in this section

Price info
Price info

Subscribe to unlock unlimited digital access.
Cancel anytime.

Terms and conditions apply


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox