Limerick seek quick fillip

Limerick FC assistant manager Malky Thomson believes his side have the character to bounce back from Saturday’s defeat by St Patrick’s Athletic against Shamrock Rovers tomorrow.

After a promising start to their first season back in the Premier Division in almost 20 years, Limerick have now suffered back-to-back losses.

Killian Brennan notched the only goal of the game for St Pat’s on a chilly Easter Saturday at Thomond Park after Ian Bermingham was nudged in the back by Shaun Kelly inside the area in the 20th minute.

Limerick boss Stuart Taylor was serving a touchline ban for Saturday’s game, which attracted an attendance of 2,305, and Thomson took the helm.

“I think the lads are experienced and they’ll pick themselves up,” Thomson said. “We go again on Tuesday and that’s the focus.

” The two defeats is certainly something we will have to bounce back from, but the character that’s in the dressing room, that will carry us through.”

Meanwhile, if it’s goals you are after this season, look no further than St Colman’s Park.

Those who braved the bitter cold on Saturday night for Cobh Ramblers’ first home game since the 5-0 win over Wexford Youths were treated to an Easter feast, but visitors Longford Town stole the points in a dramatic 4-3 finish.

Substitute Dan Purdy grabbed the last-gasp winner for the Town, sending them to the top of the table, but they trailed from the third minute up until the 81st, when Mark Salmon made it 3-3.

Conor Meade had opened the scoring for the home side inside 180 seconds, heading home a Martin Deady cross for his fifth goal in four, before Rams skipper Davin O’Neill doubled their advantage four minutes later with a delightful volley from 12 yards.

Willie McDonagh pulled one back for the visitors on 20, but O’Neill found the net a second time with just 60 seconds elapsed in the second half to make it 3-1.

Longford, who have now won four games on the bounce following an opening defeat by Athlone Town, made it 3-2 through David O’Sullivan soon after the hour mark.

Ramblers, however, tired as the game wore on and the visitors’ skipper Salmon finished clinically with nine minutes to play to set up a dramatic finish.

With three minutes added on, it looked like the spoils would be shared but, deep into the final minute, Purdy popped up to break the home side’s hearts, firing through a crowd of players and past an unlucky Robert Birdsall.

More in this section


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up

Discover the

Install our free app today

Available on


Have the Irish Examiner delivered to your door. No delivery charge. Just pay the cover price.


Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox