IRFU condemns 'cowardly' online abuse after Edwin Edogbo's Ireland debut
Edwin Edogbo with supporters after the Guinness Six Nations Rugby Championship match between Ireland and Italy. Picture: Brendan Moran/Sportsfile
The IRFU has condemned “cowardly” racist abuse posted on social media having already suspended comments relating to a post congratulating Edwin Edogbo after his Test debut for Ireland against Italy in Saturday’s Six Nations game.
The Munster forward, born in Cork to Nigerian parents, and the first ever Cobh Pirates player to make his senior debut for the men’s national team, came on to a huge ovation from the Aviva Stadium crowd after 70 minutes at the weekend.
The IRFU subsequently posted ‘Our latest debutant’ with a picture of the 23-year-old holding his first cap on the pitch itself on X. It has been viewed over 6.3 million times and retweeted almost 900. The groundswell of goodwill echoed that witnessed in the stadium.
Read More
This being social media, however, there is always the ignorant minority, whether lone individuals or phony accounts operated by bots, and that ultimately resulted in comments being turned off on the IRFU’s post.
Munster Rugby have also placed the same restriction on a similar post of its own.
“We’re aware of some targeted abuse online in recent days and continue to work with Signify and the relevant authorities to report it,” said an IRFU spokesperson when contacted by
“We will also continue to fully support all affected by the cowardly actions of a minority and investigations are underway alongside our partners Signify.
"It is clear that racist abuse has no place in Irish society and the IRFU has a zero-tolerance policy towards racism of any form.”
The sad fact is that none of this comes as a surprise anymore.
Ireland head coach Andy Farrell had already called out the online hate mobs in the wake of Saturday’s game when speaking about the toxic content spilling over online in relation to the question over who should wear the Ireland No.10 jersey.
Ronan O’Gara has also touched on the unseemly nature of too much of the commentary in recent weeks as the contest between Jack Crowley and Sam Prendergast for the out-half position continues at Test level.
“Do you know what, I might be talking out of school here,” said Farrell, “but in my opinion for what’s gone on over the last year or something, especially with the keyboard warriors, I think people need to ask themselves, really, sometimes, ‘Are we Irish?’ “‘Do we want people to do well or not?’ Because it can be tough for these kids, you know?
“I’ve seen it, to-ing and fro-ing with both of them, and both of them are strong characters. It takes a lot to break kids like that. But I’ve seen it affect people, you know? So the keyboard warriors on Twitter, or whatever you call it now, need to cop on and try and help these kids.”




