The Ulster Bank Club International team to play Scotland Clubs in Netherdale on Friday March 11 has been named.
The team, coached by Dolphin’s David O’Mahony, contains five new caps in the starting XV and will be captained by Cork Constitution’s Frank Cogan.
Barry Keeshan, consistently one of the highest points scorers in the Ulster Bank League will start at outhalf and is partnered by Matt D’Arcy of St Mary’s College, who wins his first cap at this level.
Evan Ryan of Clontarf and Dolphin’s Eric Moloney will form an experienced centre partnership while Old Belvedere’s try machine David Mongan earns his first cap with Galwegians’ John Cleary on the wings. John O’Brien of Buccaneers is another new cap at fullback.
Up front Richie Sweeney is rewarded for his form for St. Mary’s College in the Ulster Bank League and is named at hooker with John Ryan of UCC and Christy Condon of Dolphin who have both been capped at this level completing the front row.
Philip Donnellan of UCC and Clontarf’s Simon Crawford are named in the second row. The backrow is a highly experienced unit with former Club International captain Hugh Hogan packing down alongside Barry O’Mahony and Cork Con skipper Frank Cogan, who has been in impressive form this season, leading the side.
This is the fifth season of this encounter and as it stands both teams have two wins at home.
The Ireland Club team will face England Counties on Friday week with a 5.30pm kick-off in Anglesea Road.
IRELAND Club Team & Replacements (v Scotland Club):
15. John O’Brien (Buccaneers)
14. John Cleary (Galwegians)
13. Eric Moloney (Dolphin)
12. Evan Ryan (Clontarf)
11. David Mongan (Old Belvedere)
10. Barry Keeshan (Dolphin)
9. Matthew D’Arcy (St Mary’s College)
1. John Ryan (UCC)
2. Richie Sweeney (St. Mary’s College)
3. Christy Condon (Dolphin)
4. Philip Donnellan (UCC)
5. Simon Crawford (Clontarf)
6. Hugh Hogan (St Mary’s College)
7. Barry O’Mahony (Clontarf)
8. Frank Cogan (Cork Constitution)
16. Ciaran Kavanagh (Clontarf)
17. Ger Slattery (Young Munster)
18. Liam Og Murphy (Young Munster)
19. Damian Hall (St. Mary’s College)
20. Gerard Hurley (Cork Constitution)
21. Alan Kingsley (Young Munster)
22. Stuart Morrow (Ballynahinch)
Ireland Club Team Management
David O’Mahony – Coach
Pat McHale – Manager
Andy Wood – Assistant Coach
Eugene McEntegart – Strength & Conditioning Coach
William Duggan – Doctor
Ailbe McCormack – Doctor
Pat Downey/Jim Barden – Bagman