Blues triumph in miserable night for Munster

Munster 12 Cardiff 19

Munster 12 Cardiff 19

Cardiff Blues gained some revenge on Munster for their two Heineken Cup pool defeats at a sold-out Musgrave Park tonight.

Ben Blair place-kicking accuracy was key in their first win in Ireland in more than two years.

The New Zealander slotted four penalties and converted Tom James' first half try to see the Blues leapfrog over Edinburgh into fourth in the Magners League table.

James scored an opportunist try just before break to help the visitors into a 13-0 lead.

A disjointed Munster failed to sniff out a try as they relied solely on the boot of Eoghan Hickey as the fly-half's fourth and final penalty secured them a losing bonus point.

This was an excellent win for Dai Young's men, especially when you consider they were idle for the past five weeks and that Munster came into the game having lost just once in their last 12 outings at their Cork base.

Having managed to turn over Mick O'Driscoll after the Munster lock had run back Nicky Robinson's initial kick-off, the Blues bossed possession in the early stages.

Scott Morgan, at the breakdown, and Robert Sidoli, who produced three telling lineout steals, had a big influence for the visitors as Munster, minus their international contingent, looked decidedly out of sorts.

Blair kicked the Welsh region into a ninth-minute lead and with defences on top, 3-0 was how it stayed until James struck in the 26th minute.

The score came as the Blues looked decidedly vulnerable - Munster had a scrum close to the visitors' line but Tomas O'Leary failed to find his half-back partner Hickey, the ball bobbled loose and was hacked on before James collected it and sped off on a diagonal run to touch down to the left of the posts.

The unerring Blair converted and added a penalty, four minutes before the break, to put his side firmly in control at 13-0.

Munster did noticeably improve in the second half. Replacement winger Lifeimi Mafi upped the ante with a number of barnstorming attacks and a shuddering hit on Cardiff captain Xavier Rush.

The complexion of the game might have changed had Mafi or O'Leary, who charged down a Nicky Robinson kick, bagged a try but Hickey's penalty haul could only get Declan Kidney's men within a seven-point range.

O'Leary's charge down on Robinson unfortunately saw the Munster scrum-half lose his footing as he gathered in the ball and the Blues regrouped, but not before a deliberate offside from Jamie Robinson resulted in the Blues losing their number 13 to the sin-bin.

Hickey landed the subsequent penalty for a 16-9 score line but Young's men held firm - with the kickers swapping late penalties - for the region's first win on Irish soil since they beat Connacht in January 2005.

More in this section

Sport Push Notifications

By clicking on 'Sign Up' you will be the first to know about our latest and best sporting content on this browser.

Sign Up

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up
Cookie Policy Privacy Policy FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Irish Examiner Ltd