Leinster denied by Davies but still make last eight

COLIN McENTEE’S Leinster A couldn’t add the scalp of London Welsh to those of Esher, Melrose and Llanelli at Donnybrook yesterday but a draw was enough to secure a home quarter-final in the British & Irish Cup.

Fly-half Noel Reid landed a 40 metre penalty in the 15th minute, hooker Aaron Dundon plunged over from close range before Dave Kearney (try) and Reid (penalty) eased Leinster to an 18-0 advantage. However, centre James Lewis sprinted into the corner for fly-half Alex Davies to convert on London Welsh’s first visit into Leinster’s 22 to leave it 18-7 at the interval.

Reid extended Leinster’s lead with his third penalty. Then, multiple offloads put Ed Siggery under the posts for Davies’ conversion to trim the deficit and Will Hurrell flew through a gap in midfield for Davies to tie it up in the 69th minute. Leinster replacement Cathal Marsh smashed a penalty from the right to restore the host’s advantage but Davies wasn’t finished yet, splitting the posts for a well-earned draw.

LEINSTER A: D Kearney; A Conway, B Macken, C O’Shea, F Carr; N Reid, J Cooney; J McGrath (capt), A Dundon, J Hagan, N Keogh, M Flanagan, B Marshall, J Murphy, L Auva’a.

Replacements: C Gilsenan for Marshall ht; D Hudson for Carr, C Marsh for Reid, T Sexton for Dundon, (all 68); J O’Connell for Hagan (74).

LONDON WELSH: London Welsh: E Thrower; L Gibson, J Lewis, S Jewell, W Hurrell; A Davies, J Moates; T French, D George, B Moss, G Johnson, M Corker, E Siggery, M Hills, E Jackson (capt).

Replacements: N Morris for George (38); G Roan for Moss (67); B Russell for Jackson (64); A Brown for Corker, A Smith for Jewell, (both 68); S Egerton for Moates (72).

Referee: R Thomas, WRU.

More in this section


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox

Execution Time: 0.21 s