Two names on FFR shortlist

FRENCH rugby chief Bernard Lapasset has confirmed there are two stand-out candidates in the running to replace Bernard Laporte as head coach of the national team.

The likes of Sale Sharks coach Philippe Saint-Andre, Toulouse boss Guy Noves, Stade Francais’ Fabien Galthie and Biarritz coach Patrice Lagisquet are believed to be among the favourites to take over.

Lapasset admitted the French Rugby Federation (FFR) were looking at two names in particular.

“There are two,” he said. “There are two possible candidates that the national team can go with.”

Lapasset said last week that a successor to Laporte would be named within three weeks of the conclusion of the World Cup, the final of which is being played next Saturday.

Laporte is leaving his post to take up a role as sports minister in President Nicolas Sarkozy’s French government.

More in this section

Sport

Newsletter

Sign up to our daily sports bulletin, delivered straight to your inbox at 5pm. Subscribers also receive an exclusive email from our sports desk editors every Friday evening looking forward to the weekend's sporting action.

Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Brand Safety FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited