Wallabies hit out at Cup opener restrictions

THE Wallabies are angry that the World Cup opening ceremony will disrupt their normal pre-Test routine in Friday night’s clash with Argentina.

The Wallabies and the Pumas have been barred from leaving their dressing rooms for at least an hour before their match at Telstra Stadium and will not be allowed anywhere near the ground until the kick-off in the World Cup opener.

The Wallabies usually hold their final training drills and goalkicking practice on the ground for 20 minutes before the start of any international.

But on Friday night the opening ceremony will force them to hold their pre-match warm up in the limited confines of the dressing rooms, with the goal kickers heading to a nearby ground during the afternoon for their practice session.

Coach Eddie Jones was told of the restrictions late last week and was not happy, as many players are creatures of habit, and can easily lose focus if their match day routine is upset.

When asked if being cooped up in a dressing room for more than hour was satisfactory, Jones replied: “No, I don’t think it is.

It is a long time to be stuck in a room. Guys do like to get out and have a look at the ground. Players do like their routines. It would be hard to think that for the Olympic 100m final, the athletes wouldn’t be allowed to go through their normal warm-up.”

Jones will seek permission from Rugby World Cup officials for at least himself and captain George Gregan to be allowed to leave the rooms and inspect the ground.

“If the team captain and the coach are not allowed to go onto the field and check the conditions, then it is really getting absurd,” Jones said.

“We’ve known since last January that we would have to have an indoor warm-up for the first game, but in terms of not being allowed on the ground full stop, we were only told of that late last week. We’ve been told it’s non-negotiable.”

His other concern as he began informing players whether they would or would not be appearing against Argentina was preparing the Wallabies pack for what is expected to be one of its most demanding up-front battles of the tournament.

“Argentina have culturally, traditionally and historically always had a very strong forward pack,” Jones said. “We expect the same on Friday night. They pride their work in the scrum and the lineout.”

Wallabies centre Stirling Mortlock meanwhile has been isolated from the rest of the Australian team because of a gastric virus.

Mortlock was unable to train yesterday, but is expected to be available for selection against Argentina.

More in this section

Sport

Newsletter

Sign up to our daily sports bulletin, delivered straight to your inbox at 5pm. Subscribers also receive an exclusive email from our sports desk editors every Friday evening looking forward to the weekend's sporting action.

Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Brand Safety FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited