Weather check at Wincanton

Officials at Wincanton will stage an 8am inspection on Thursday to assess the prospects of their St Stephen's Day fixture going ahead.

Officials at Wincanton will stage an 8am inspection on Thursday to assess the prospects of their St Stephen's Day fixture going ahead.

The course is currently covered in five inches of snow and with temperatures not forecast to rise any time soon, clerk of the course Barry Johnson is pessimistic.

“It’s not looking good as there is not really any sign that the snow is going to thaw much before Boxing Day,” said Johnson.

“There is no point prolonging things. We’ll speak to the forecasters again Thursday morning, and if they give us a glimmer of hope, we’ll sit tight.

“But there is no point everybody declaring to run if there is absolutely no chance of racing going ahead.”

More in this section

Price info
IE_180_logo
Price info

Subscribe to unlock unlimited digital access.
Cancel anytime.

Terms and conditions apply

Sport
Newsletter

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up
IE_logo_newsletters

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox