Venus Williams handed US Open wildcard after making doubles return with Serena
BACK IN QUEENS: Venus Williams exited at the first round stage last year. Pic: AP Photo/Nick Wass
Two-time U.S. Open singles champion Venus Williams has received a wildcard entry into this year's tournament, organisers said on Tuesday.
Seven-time Grand Slam winner Williams, 46, was eliminated in the first round at Flushing Meadows last year after falling to Czech Karolina Muchova.
She and sister Serena also returned to doubles action for the first time since 2022 on Monday, suffering an opening round defeat at the Cincinnati Open.
Sloane Stephens, the 2017 U.S. Open winner, was also among those granted a wildcard on Monday. The 33-year-old is trying to make a comeback after a foot injury derailed her 2025 season.
Organisers said one women's singles wildcard spot is still to be announced.
On the men's side, Frenchman Gael Monfils was among those who got a wildcard into the main draw earlier this month. The former world number six previously announced that he would retire at the end of the season.
Monfils and spouse Elina Svitolina were also given wildcards into the U.S. Open mixed doubles tournament on Monday.
The Williams sisters were beaten in their first doubles match together for four years at the Cincinnati Open, going down 2-6 6-1 10-8 against Marta Kostyuk and Peyton Stearns.
It was the first time since the 2022 US Open that the sisters had competed together, with Serena opting to step away from tennis in the aftermath of that tournament.
in June, she made a return to doubles before playing singles at Wimbledon as a wild card, though she sustained a knee injury in losing to Maya Joint in the first round and was unable to take part in the doubles alongside her sister as planned.
“We’ve waited a long time to get back on the doubles court. Eventually, we find our way to each other,” Venus said.
“We give each other so much grace and encouragement. This is our first time playing together in forever, and I think we’re really getting into our stride.” The pair made a poor start against Kostyuk and Stearns but hit back to take the match to a tie-break.
They went 6-0 down in 10-point decider but despite battling back, Kostyuk and Stearns secured victory on a double fault from Venus.
Britain’s Arthur Fery failed to replicate his Wimbledon heroics as he went down to fifth seed Alex De Minaur in straight sets.
Fery, who shot into the world’s top 50 after his stunning run to the semi-final at the All England Club, was playing his first event since that improbable run was ended at the hands of Alexander Zverev.
The match was subject to three rain delays as the weather continued to play havoc with the schedule in Ohio, although there were earlier wins for Flavio Cobolli and Novak Djokovic’s conqueror Thiago Agustin Tirante.
Top seed Zverev, meanwhile, was pushed to his limit by France’s Terence Atmane.
The French Open champion needed a tie-break in both sets to overcome Atmane, ultimately prevailing 7-6 (4) 7-6 (6) in two hours and nine minutes.




