Knife attack widow off critical list

The US Olympics Committee said today the condition of the widow of the American stabbed to death on the opening weekend of the Olympics had improved.

The US Olympics Committee said today the condition of the widow of the American stabbed to death on the opening weekend of the Olympics had improved.

Committee spokesman Darryl Seibel said Barbara Bachman’s condition had been upgraded from critical to stable.

Mrs Bachman was with her husband, Todd, when they were attacked by a Chinese man in Beijing.

Mr Bachman, the father of former Olympic volleyball player Elisabeth “Wiz” Bachman, was killed in the frenzied attack on Saturday at Beijing’s Drum Tower. His wife and a Chinese tour guide were also stabbed.

The attacker then committed suicide, throwing himself from the ancient monument.

Mr Seibel said Mrs Bachman’s family and the US committee were “very, very, very happy to report her condition is upgraded”.

x

More in this section

Sport

Newsletter

Sign up to our daily sports bulletin, delivered straight to your inbox at 5pm. Subscribers also receive an exclusive email from our sports desk editors every Friday evening looking forward to the weekend's sporting action.

Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Brand Safety FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited