Federer unfazed by favourite tag

World number one Roger Federer is relishing the added pressure of arriving at the Australian Open as an overwhelming favourite.

World number one Roger Federer is relishing the added pressure of arriving at the Australian Open as an overwhelming favourite.

The 24-year-old, who won two of the four Grand Slam titles last season, has also been boosted ahead of the tournament by a series of big-name withdrawals.

Reigning champion Marat Safin, French Open champion Rafael Nadal and the great Andre Agassi have all succumbed to injury in recent weeks, leaving the field wide open for Federer to advance.

The number one seed is likely to face stiff opposition from the likes of Andy Roddick and Lleyton Hewitt but admits the burden of expectation is helping, rather than hindering, his cause.

“I enjoy being the big favourite, you know, not just the favourite but the big one,” said Federer who opens his campaign against Denis Istomin of Uzbekistan. “I prefer the situation to be the favourite (rather) than the contender.

“I obviously have to make sure that I win my matches, but mentally I’m that tough that I don’t have a problem with that.”

If, as expected, Federer advances to the semi-finals he faces a potential showdown with home favourite Hewitt.

The all-action Australian – seeded third this year – has lost on each of his last nine meetings with Federer and admits the expectation of the home fans can sometimes be too much to handle.

“In some ways it feels like every time I come into the Australian Open, there’s always that added expectation,” Hewitt said.

“Until we have more Australians probably in the top 10, top 20 in the world, it’s going to continue year after year. I’ve got to be prepared for that, I think, until my career is over.”

On the other side of the draw, big-hitting second seed Roddick believes he is in perfect shape ahead of the tournament.

But the 23-year-old American, who lost to Federer in the 2004 and 2005 Wimbledon finals, must beat the likes of fourth seed David Nalbandian, Mario Ancic and Gaston Gaudio if he wants to reach his first Melbourne final.

“I feel more prepared. Last year, you know, I didn’t – we played Davis Cup in December, so by the time this came around it felt pretty quick to me,” Roddick said.

“I definitely feel like I did more due diligence this year, was a little more ready to go and had a little bit more time to prepare on my terms.”

x

More in this section

Sport

Newsletter

Sign up to our daily sports bulletin, delivered straight to your inbox at 5pm. Subscribers also receive an exclusive email from our sports desk editors every Friday evening looking forward to the weekend's sporting action.

Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Brand Safety FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited