Rusedski has shot himself in foot - Cash

Greg Rusedski’s former coach Pat Cash has claimed the British number two “has shot himself in the foot” following revelations that he failed a drugs test.

Greg Rusedski’s former coach Pat Cash has claimed the British number two “has shot himself in the foot” following revelations that he failed a drugs test.

Cash believes Rusedski could find himself “out of tennis for a year” if found guilty of taking the banned substance nandrolone.

Rusedski last night vowed to prove his innocence when he attends an ATP hearing in Montreal – the Canadian-born player’s home town – on February 9.

And former Wimbledon champion Cash warned life would not be easy for the 30-year-old, who has struggled with injuries in the last 18 months, regardless of the outcome of the case.

“I am surprised but he is very, very dedicated and when you have a run of injuries it’s very, very tempting to take something to help you along,” Cash told BBC Radio Five Live.

However, Cash doubts that Rusedski did knowingly take the substance, claiming: “For me it seems a bit ridiculous he would do that, he has shot himself in the foot.

“He is a professional athlete, he should know better. We will have to wait and see what the circumstances are. Perhaps he has taken it accidentally.

“But unless there are extreme circumstances I think he will find himself out of tennis for a year.”

Former British Davis Cup player Barry Cowan said whatever Rusedski’s defence, athletes had a personal responsibility to ensure that they did not unwittingly take banned substances.

“When I was playing I even went other way. You could not have been more careful than I was. Before the Sydney Olympics in 2000 I did not take anything even for things like colds,” said the now-retired Cowan.

“I used to take sports drinks but went as far as not taking them. I had been warned by the LTA (Lawn Tennis Association) that some drinks could be contaminated.

“You hear governing bodies saying it is the responsibility of the athletes [for what is taken] so you have to be ultra careful.”

Rusedski has pledged to continue playing and fulfil his appearances at the adidas International in Sydney and Australian Open in Melbourne and Cowan hoped his fellow professionals would be understanding.

“It is important that players accept Greg in the dressing room. He is innocent until proven guilty. He is playing in Sydney and Melbourne and you would not want a bad atmosphere. There would be nothing worse if Greg was proved innocent,” he added.

“Greg must get a fair hearing. There is a lot of pressure from the media and it will be very tough to produce his best tennis. Mentally can he compete at 100%?”

That was a question raised by former Wimbledon junior quarter-finalist Chris Bailey.

“No-one can say until we hear his defence whether he is guilty or not. How can he concentrate on the job in hand? Will he be able to concentrate on tennis, I very much doubt that,” said Bailey, who contemplated how Rusedski had failed a drugs test.

“There has been a link with a dietary supplements and dehydration which can produce a low level of nandrolone so he could claim he was not ingesting nandrolone and it was a chemical reaction in his body.

“About 15% of these supplements do not state on their labels that they contain an anabolic steroid and it is the player’s responsibility to get them checked. He may have taken these supplements and he has fallen into hot water from there.

“He is going to have quite a job proving he was not taking the drugs.”

More in this section

Sport

Newsletter

Sign up to our daily sports bulletin, delivered straight to your inbox at 5pm. Subscribers also receive an exclusive email from our sports desk editors every Friday evening looking forward to the weekend's sporting action.

Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Brand Safety FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited