‘Poignant’ Wimbledon cash move hailed

WIMBLEDON’S historic decision to award equal prize money to men and women for the first time in the tournament’s history has been hailed as a “poignant and symbolic” gesture by leading figures in the women’s game.

The All England Club has announced they would fall into line with the US and Australian Opens, leaving just the French Open – which only awards equal prize money to winners of the event – out on a limb.

Larry Scott, chief executive of the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour, said the decision would have positive repercussions not only for his sport but for equality within society in general.

Scott said: “Sport can be a catalyst for change, and to break the barrier in arguably the most important tournament in the only sport in which men and women play together, is very poignant and symbolic.

“I am very pleased Wimbledon has made the decision to go all the way to equality.

‘‘They have made the decisive step. It is a very positive statement from them, and a credit to their progressive leadership.”

Scott will now renew his efforts to persuade Roland Garros to fall into line. Last year French officials agreed to pay the women’s champion the same as the men’s champion, but maintain a discrepancy in earlier rounds.

Scott added: “The decision taken by Roland Garros last year was a token and cosmetic one, and one not warmly received by women tennis players.

“Hopefully Wimbledon will encourage them to also change.”

The campaign for equal prize money had been begun in 1973 by Billie-Jean King, who would win a total of 20 Wimbledon titles in the course of her long and distinguished career.

She was a harsh critic of those who claimed the men deserved more because they played five-set matches, insisting: “Entertainers do not get paid by the hour.”

King said: “This news has been a long time coming and I am thrilled Wimbledon has joined the club of Grand Slam events offering equal prize money for men and women.

‘‘Wimbledon is one of the most respected events in all sports and now with women and men paid on an equal scale, it demonstrates to the rest of the world that this is the right thing to do for the sport, the tournament and the world.”

Triple Wimbledon champion Venus Williams expressed her delight at the news, saying: “The greatest tennis tournament in the world has reached an even greater height today.

“I applaud the decision by Wimbledon, which recognises the value of women’s tennis. The 2007 Championships will have even greater meaning and significance to me and my fellow players.”

Another former champion Maria Sharapova said: “Wimbledon has always been a leader in so many ways in the world of tennis. This decision will only strengthen the bond between women players and one of the world’s great sporting events.”

The news was also welcomed by the president of the International Tennis Federation, Francesco Ricci Bitti, who said: “The ITF commend Wimbledon on the decision to offer equal prize money for both men and women.

“That is an important step forward not only for women’s tennis but also for women in sport.

“Both men’s and women’s tennis are blessed with outstanding athletes who attract audiences around the world to our sport.

“Wimbledon’s decision emphasises this factor but also recognises the growing depth in women’s tennis and the changing market forces within our sport.”

More in this section

Sport

Newsletter

Sign up to our daily sports bulletin, delivered straight to your inbox at 5pm. Subscribers also receive an exclusive email from our sports desk editors every Friday evening looking forward to the weekend's sporting action.

Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Brand Safety FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited