Gomez retires as trainer slams ‘ludicrous’ fix claims

FORMER British champion Michael Gomez is facing one final fight to clear his name after bringing his eventful 10-year professional career to a close.

Gomez has announced his retirement after his fifth-round defeat to Peter McDonagh in Dublin on Saturday - which is subject to an investigation by the Boxing Union of Ireland.

Both fighters have had their purses withheld because of the manner of the stoppage, in which Gomez turned his back on his opponent, and reports that at least one Irish bookmaker suspended betting on the bout.

Gomez’s trainer Billy Graham dismissed allegations levelled against Gomez as “ludicrous and laughable” and said it would be a travesty if they were allowed to taint his career.

Graham said: “Michael’s whole life has been about courage as far as I am concerned, and he has bared his soul so many times - which makes me all the more angry they are saying things like this.

“It is all over for Michael now, and he has more to his life than boxing. I’m proud to be have been associated with him, and it is just such a shame it has ended like this.”

Gomez’s tragic life story is well documented. He was born on the back seat of a car moments after his father had crashed it, and grew up in a succession of children’s homes.

He spent time in prison before being cleared of the manslaughter of a man he knocked out in a street brawl - and he was declared clinically dead for 48 seconds after being stabbed in 2001.

Gomez claimed the British super-featherweight title from Gary Thornhill in 1999 and pulled off his best career win with a stunning stoppage of Alex Arthur in Edinburgh two years ago.

Graham added: “Michael has gone to the well so many times and shown indomitable courage. There is no ‘quit’ in Michael, but it had to come to an end some time.

“The ending was sad enough, never mind for it to come with allegations that he has thrown a fight as well.”

Both Gomez and McDonagh are likely to be called before the Irish board to give evidence during the investigation, which is due to last three weeks.

Gomez lost his previous fight to Javier Alvarez last February but was still in the frame for a lucrative rematch against Arthur.

Graham added: “I started boxing when I was 15 and I’ve spent all my life around boxers and never known anyone be approached to throw a fight.

“All I know about fixed fights is those old black-and-white films - I know it used to happen, but all this stuff about Saturday is just sensationalised rubbish.

“Michael just got to the point where he had had enough - it was a spur-of-the-moment thing, a sudden realisation that it was all over.

“Michael does not have to explain himself to anyone, and I don’t know why anyone should be surprised. Hasn’t he proved his courage enough?”

Meanwhile Boxing Union of Ireland president Mel Christle said that he hoped to have the matter resolved within the 21-day period set for the investigation.

Christle said: “We are collating all the facts surrounding Saturday night and we have made submission to both Mr Gomez and Mr McDonagh as to what occurred.

“We will also be gathering information from the referee, from the medical team and we have asked for a copy of the video of the whole RTÉ broadcast.”

The allegations arose when it emerged on RTÉ’s broadcast that leading Irish bookmakers Boylesports had suspended betting on the fight earlier in the afternoon.

However, according to Christle, Boylesports now seem to be moving away from any suggestion of a problem with irregular betting patterns.

“It would appear the source (of the allegations) Boylesports is now refusing to disclose how much money was laid and they have said on national radio that as far as they are concerned nothing untoward happened,” said Christle.

“So the jury is out on all this but we hope to have our conclusion inside the 21-day period set.”

The show’s promoter Brian Peters said: “The whole issue is ridiculous - Boylesports have refused to say how much was laid and how much they paid out.

“The fact is that any small bet would have taken the odds down from 125-1 for a stoppage in the fifth or sixth round and it’s a shame that what seems like a cheap publicity stunt has cast a shadow over Peter McDonagh’s Irish title win.”

More in this section

Sport

Newsletter

Sign up to our daily sports bulletin, delivered straight to your inbox at 5pm. Subscribers also receive an exclusive email from our sports desk editors every Friday evening looking forward to the weekend's sporting action.

Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Brand Safety FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited