Disappointing Dublin - Galway outing ends even

In the end, it seemed fair that this pair should get a second chance to redeem themselves after a disappointing showing.

Disappointing Dublin - Galway outing ends even

Dublin 0-20 Galway 1-17

By John Fogarty

In the end, it seemed fair that this pair should get a second chance to redeem themselves after a disappointing showing.

On a day when they posted 26 wides between them (14 for Galway, 12 for Dublin), it was almost as appropriate and yet unfitting – given the player who hit the crucial wide – that it was an inaccurate shot which could have decided this encounter.

After converting every other placed ball that was provided to him, David Treacy shouldn't be the fall guy even if he could have sealed Dublin a Leinster semi-final had he kept his 100% run going.

Liam Rushe, so effective in the closing stages, had won the free and actually put Dublin one up in the 65th minute until Aidan Harte's equaliser in the final minute of normal time. Four consecutive scores put Dublin in the driving seat at the start of the second half but Galway had a number of goal threats and drawn level through Cyril Donnellan in the 59th minute.

Galway had grabbed the pitch of the game much quicker and lead by two points to no score after six minutes, Donnellan had two opportunities for a goal in the fourth minutes having scored the first point of the game.

Donnellan was having the better of his centre-back marker Conal Keaney and he added a second before Cathal Mannion added another point to extend Galway's lead to three. Treacy's frees, three of them in seven minutes, were keeping Dublin in touch but Galway were clearly the sharper as evidenced by Andy Smith's 16th minute score which he started in intercepting a Danny Sutcliffe ball and finished over the bar.

Galway's opening goal came in the 19th minute when a Keaney misjudgement was seized upon by Conor Cooney and he made a bee-line for goal. His shot was almost straight at Alan Nolan but was too hot for him to handle.

Dublin got their act together soon after with their first point from play and then another three in as many minutes as they took control of the Galway puck-out. A dubious Joe Canning 65 followed and the margin became three although Colm Callanan had to be so alert to deny Colm Cronin a Dublin goal.

Nolan was better when blocking a Jason Flynn strike in the 27th minute and Dublin drew level just after the hour mark when Treacy stuck over his fourth free, this one the latest of three courtesy of Johnny Coen fouls on Mark Schutte.

Cuala man Schutte put Dublin ahead for the first time in the final minute of normal time only for Mannion and Flynn to score a brace to ensure Galway led 1-9 to 0-11 at half-time.

Scores and teams

Scorers for Dublin: D Treacy (0-11, 8 frees, 2 65s); M Schutte, D Sutcliffe (0-3 each); L Rushe (0-2); J McCaffrey (0-1).

Scorers for Galway: J Canning (0-6, 4 frees, 1 65); J Cooney (1-0); C Donnellan, C Mannion (0-3 each); J Flynn, A Harte (0-2 each); A Smith (0-1 each).

Subs for Dublin: M Carton for P Kelly (35+2); D O'Connell for C Cronin (49); P Ryan for R O'Dwyer (65); S Barrett for C O'Callaghan (70+2).

Subs for Galway: G Lally for G McInerney (53); P Brehony for J Cooney (inj 59); D Burke for A Smith (66); P Killeen for I Tannian (69); N Healy for J Canning (70+2).

DUBLIN: A Nolan; C O'Callaghan, P Kelly, S Durkin; C Crummy, C Keaney, S Lambert; J McCaffrey, R O'Dwyer; D Sutcliffe, C Cronin, L Rushe; D O'Callaghan, M Schutte, D Treacy.

GALWAY: C Callanan; P Mannion, J Coen, J Hanbury; D Collins, I Tannian, G McInerney; J Cooney, A Harte; A Smith, C Donnellan, J Glynn; C Mannion, J Canning, J Flynn.

Referee: J McGrath (Westmeath)

More in this section

Sport Newsletter

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up