Champions Clare stage comeback to earn replay against Wexford

Not even extra time could separate Clare and Wexford as the sides played out a thrilling draw in Cusack Park.

Champions Clare stage comeback to earn replay against Wexford

Clare 2-25 Wexford 2-25

By Ciarán McGreal

Not even extra time could separate Clare and Wexford as the sides played out a thrilling draw in Cusack Park.

Wexford's Paul Morris scored a point with the last puck of extra-time meaning a replay will be required to decide the winner.

Wexford grabbed two first-half goals as Clare struggled to keep up with the visitors.

Conor McDonald blasted the ball past Patrick Kelly who probably should have stopped it to give Wexford a 1-3 to 0-1 lead after nine minutes.

The visitors grabbed the next four scores after that and notched their second goal after 16 minutes as Liam Óg McGovern raced clear of Cian Dillon to blast home.

Colin Ryan scored a number of frees but the All-Ireland champions suffered a setback as All Star Podge Collins was dismissed for interfering with the helmet of Wexford's David Redmond.

Clare went in at half time five points down and they looked lacklustre in the opening period of the second half with Wexford grabbing two early points.

The Model County hit a number of poor wides in the second-half and had a great goal chance in the 64th minute but Kelly produced a stunning save to deny McGovern.

Wexford were then awarded a penalty when Brendan Bugler was harshly adjudged to have brought down McGovern by referee Cathal McAllister. Paul Morris pointed the penalty to give Wexford a four point lead with three minutes remaining.

But Clare were given a penalty of their own as Conor McGrath was brought down near to goal by Keith Rossiter. Tony Kelly stepped up and saw his shot blocked on the line by Matthew O'Hanlon.

However, substitute Seadhna Morey was first to the rebound to blast home and leave the home side a point behind with a minute remaining. And Conor Ryan kept Clare in it with a late equalising point to send the game to extra time.

Conor McGrath grabbed a brilliant goal for the home side as he turned O'Hanlon before calmly beating Mark Fanning.

Clare looked to have triumphed as McGrath scored a point with just a minute of extra time remaining but Morris had the final say as he levelled for Wexford with the last puck of an absorbing contest.


Clare: C McGrath 1-5, S Morey 1-0, Colin Ryan 0-12 (0-10 frees), T Kelly 0-4, C McInerney 0-2, C Dillon 0-1, C Ryan 0-1

Wexford: L McGovern 1-4, C McDonald 1-1, P Morris 0-10 (1 pen, 5 frees, 1 '65), L Chin 0-3, E Moore 0-1 (free), D Redmond 0-1, A Shore 0-1, J Guiney 0-1, D O'Keeffe 0-1, I Byrne 0-1, R Jacob 0-1

Clare: P Kelly; C Dillon, D McInerney, J Browne; B Bugler, Conor Ryan, P O'Connor (P Flanagan 87); P Donnellan (P Duggan 50), C Galvin (S Morey 65)(S Golden 71); J Conlon (D Honan 56), T Kelly, Colin Ryan; P Collins, C McGrath, C McInerney(S Morey 81).

Wexford: M Fanning; L Ryan, M O'Hanlon, K Rossiter; E Moore, L Chin (C Devitt 87), C Kenny; D Redmond (D O'Keeffe 45), H Kehoe (G Sinnott h-t)(R Jacob 83); A Shore (R Kehoe 63), P Doran (PJ Nolan 47), L McGovern; P Morris, C McDonald (I Byrne 71), R Jacob (J Guiney 30).

More in this section

Sport Newsletter

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up