Waterford withstand Galway fightback

Waterford 0-22 Galway 1-13

Waterford withstand Galway fightback

Waterford 0-22 Galway 1-13

A hard-working Waterford outfit recorded a rousing 0-22 to 1-13 home win over Galway to open their Allianz Hurling League account this afternoon.

Galway held the early wind advantage but the hosts led 0-09 to 0-08 at the break, with Pauric Mahony drilling over six of his 11-point total.

Although Jason Flynn's goal brought Galway level at 0-14 to 1-11, Ray Barry answered back with three second half points as the Déise went on to secure manager Derek McGrath's opening victory.

Free-taker Pauric Mahony's double-figure scoring contribution inspired Waterford to a gutsy victory in front of 2,616 spectators at Walsh Park.

The home side worked ferociously all over the pitch with their durable half-back line and midfield outmuscling their opponents. Pauric Mahony steered the ship from centre forward and scored five from play.

McGrath made six switches from their first round defeat to Tipperary with Ray Barry and Ryan Donnelly making a lasting impression. They also recovered from the body blow of a Galway goal early in the second period.

The sides were level on five occasions during a first half played in the sticky conditions.

Wind-assisted Galway took the early initiative to lead by 0-03 to 0-01 after five minutes with Conor Cooney, Padraig Brehony and Cathal Mannion all on target.

The Waterford half-back line and midfield steadied after a shaky opening. A double from Pauric Mahony and one from Kevin Moran put them ahead for the first time.

It turned into a battle between Mahony and Conor Cooney. The Waterford ace struck six first half points (three from play) while the St. Thomas' player landed three for the Tribesmen.

Waterford established a two-point lead towards the break but full-forward Mannion notched his second score to leave Galway just one adrift (0-09 to 0-08).

Three swift points at the beginning of the second period - Mahony, Seamus Prendergast and Barry - kept the home side in control.

In the 48th minute Flynn pounced on a slip by Tadhg Bourke to make it all square for the seventh time (0-14 to 1-11). Waterford recovered though with long distance points from Barry and Pauric Mahony.

The half-back line of Jamie Nagle, Michael Walsh and Philip Mahony continued to offer the launch pad for McGrath's determined side. Kevin Moran and Shane O'Sullivan also broke forward from midfield.

Barry increased his second half tally to three and the livewire Donnelly also got off the mark to stretch the lead to four points with ten minutes remaining (0-19 to 1-12).

Padraig Brehony put Galway back within striking distance but the hosts reeled off three more points to complete their task. Substitutes Jake Dillon and Stephen Roche made their presence felt before man-of-the-match Pauric Mahony capped off a satisfying day at the office.

WATERFORD: I O'Regan; T Bourke, S Fives, N Connors; J Nagle, M Walsh, Philip Mahony; K Moran (0-01), S O'Sullivan; R Barry (0-04), Pauric Mahony (0-11, 0-06f), S Molumphy (0-01); R Donnelly (0-01), S Prendergast (0-02), B O'Sullivan.

Subs used: J Dillon (0-01) for B O'Sullivan (45 mins), J Barron for Molumphy (50), E Barrett for S O'Sullivan (59), S Roche (0-01) for Prendergast (63), G O'Brien for Barry (66).

GALWAY: C Callanan; F Moore, R Burke, J Coen; A Harte, I Tannian, D Collins; David Burke (0-01), P Brehony (0-02); K Hynes, C Cooney (0-06, 0-02f), J Flynn (1-00); N Healy (0-01), C Mannion (0-03), D Glennon.

Subs used: P Landers for Hynes (28 mins), Daithi Burke for Glennon (43), D Dolan for Landers (62), R Cummins for Mannion (65).

Referee: John Sexton (Cork).

More in this section

Sport Newsletter

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up