Cavan win marred by ill-tempered scenes

Cavan 1-14 Fermanagh 0-10

Cavan win marred by ill-tempered scenes

Cavan 1-14 Fermanagh 0-10

Cavan recorded their third Championship win over Fermanagh in 12 months, winning tonight's ill-tempered All-Ireland qualifier clash by 1-14 to 0-10 at Breffni Park.

Sligo referee Michael Duffy flashed three red cards and 12 yellows in what was a terrible second round encounter.

A mass brawl just after the half-time whistle resulted in Fermanagh's Sean Quigley getting a straight red card immediately after the restart.

Shane McCabe and Martin Reilly were both dismissed for second yellow card offences during the second half.

Cavan, who had an Ulster SFC quarter-final win over Fermanagh in Enniskillen last month, scored the first three points of the game inside seven minutes.

Eugene Keating, Fergal Flanagan and Damien O’Reilly all scored from play as Cavan took the early initiative.

Fermanagh failed to score for the first 25 minutes when the sides met in Brewster Park last month - this time they only had to wait nine minutes before Sean Quigley got them on the scoreboard.

Martin Dunne was the match winner in Enniskillen and he made a decisive impact tonight with an 11th minute goal.

Cian Mackey made a good run down the wing and spotted Dunne free inside. Dunne’s run took him away from his marker John Woods and his low left-footed finish beat Chris Snow in goal.

Eoin Donnelly’s long range point was a good response for Fermanagh, but Cavan kicked on and stretched their lead to 1-06 to 0-02 after 25 minutes.

A dull game dominated by lateral hand-passing grew more spiteful as the half progressed with a couple of late challenges.

Referee Duffy flashed seven yellows in the first half as the game descended into a niggling affair with football not exactly the number one priority.

After so many league and Championship meetings in the last year, these teams have become over-familiar with each other and the players clearly had a few scores to settle.

Tempers flared after the half-time whistle blew. Players got involved in heated exchanges as they slowly made their way off the field at the interval.

Sean Quigley punched Cian Mackey in the stomach and that sparked a huge melee with substitutes and selectors piling in from the sidelines.

Quigley had scored two superb long range frees just before the chaos erupted to close the deficit to 1-07 to 0-05 at the break.

Just before throwing the ball in at the start of the second-half, Duffy gave Quigley a straight red card for his challenge on Mackey.

Cavan selector Anthony Forde and Fermanagh backroom member Lorcan Martin were also sent to the stands.

Fermanagh were already struggling with a lack of natural finishers in the team and the departure of Quigley signalled their exit from the Championship.

The Ernesiders' boss Peter Canavan made a triple substitution after 45 minutes to try and breathe new life into his side's challenge.

They hit four wides in the second half before substitute Daniel Kille registered their first point of the second half in the 50th minute.

Cavan’s Martin Reilly was sent-off for a second bookable offence after 55 minutes, when his team were already winning by 1-10 to 0-06.

Duffy then produced his third red card of the evening, sending Shane McCabe to the line in the 58th minute for a second booking, as Cavan made it into Monday's third round draw.

CAVAN: C Gilsenan (0-01, 0-01 '45'); J McLoughlin, M Reilly (0-01), K Clarke; J McEnroe, A Clarke, R Flanagan (0-01); D O'Reilly (0-01), D Givney (0-01); C Mackey (0-01), T Corr, F Flanagan (0-02); N McDermott (0-02, 0-02f), M Dunne (1-03, 0-02f), E Keating (0-01).

Subs used: J Brady for McDermott (29 mins), D McVitty for McEnroe (59), D McKiernan for Corr (63), K Tierney for Dunne (65), M McKeever for McLoughlin (69).

FERMANAGH: C Snow; J Woods, B Cox, D Kelly (0-01); D McCusker, R McCluskey, M O'Brien; E Donnelly (0-01), M McGrath; B Owens, S McCabe, R Jones; T Corrigan, S Quigley (0-04, 0-02f), T McElroy.

Subs used: J Sherry for McGrath, C Quigley for McCusker, D Kille (0-04, 0-04f) for Corrigan (all 45 mins), D Keenan for Owens (51).

Referee: Michael Duffy (Sligo)

More in this section

Join us for a special evening of Cheltenham chat on Friday March 12 at 6.30pm with racing legend and Irish Examiner columnist Ruby Walsh, Irish Examiner racing correspondent Tommy Lyons, and former champion jockey and tv presenter Mick Fitzgerald, author of Better than Sex.


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up
Home Delivery


Have the Irish Examiner delivered to your door. No delivery charge. Just pay the cover price.