Walsh departs as Derry move on

Derry 0-15 Sligo 0-08

Walsh departs as Derry move on

Derry 0-15 Sligo 0-08

Sligo manager Kevin Walsh has resigned from his position following his side's All-Ireland SFC first round qualifier defeat to Derry in Owenbeg this evening.

Derry opened up an early seven-point lead and maintained it until the finish as they swept Walsh's charges aside to book their place in tomorrow morning's televised draw for the next round.

The loss brings to an end Walsh's five-year stint in charge of Sligo and comes just a month after former Sligo star Eamonn O'Hara called on Walsh to step down in the aftermath of their shock Connacht SFC exit at the hands of London.

This early evening clash saw the first senior Championship match being held at the Dungivan venue. Fittingly, the Oak Leafers dominated initially with points from Enda Lynn, Sean Leo McGoldrick and Ryan Bell getting them on their way.

They were 0-7 to 0-0 to the good after 15 minutes' play as rudderless Sligo struggled to get into the game, leaking further points to Ciaran McFaul, Mark Lynch (45'), Bell and Lee Kennedy.

The visitors finally got off the mark thanks to Adrian Marren's 17th-minute score and midfielder James Kilcullen went on to double their tally.

Mark Breheny landed Sligo's third point before the break, only for a late Kennedy score to keep Derry on track at 0-9 to 0-3.

The Yeats men went close to scoring the game's only goal, but home goalkeeper Eoin McNicholl stood up to Charlie Harrison's shot which was straight at him.

Kennedy and Bell, who fired over off the outside of his left boot, helped Brian McIver's side stay six points in front and they did not have too much difficulty in seeing out the win over Sligo, who had second half points from Breheny (0-3) and Marren (0-2).

Speaking after the game, Derry captain Mark Lynch told BBC Northern Ireland: "Losing to Down in the Ulster Championship hurt us and we knew the things we had to work on. We cannot take our foot off the pedal and must play for the full 70 minutes.

"Sligo had a couple of goal chances and the scoreline does not show how hard it was for us. But we are full of belief and want to go as far as we can in the Championship."

DERRY: E McNicholl; M Lynch (0-1, 0-1f), C McKaigue, D McBride; C Kielt, S L McGoldrick (0-1), D Brown; P Bradley, PJ McCloskey; C McAtamney, J Kielt, E Lynn (0-3); C McFaul (0-1), L Kennedy (0-4), R Bell (0-4).

Subs used: E Bradley (0-1) for McFaul (54 mins), E McGuckin for J Kielt (60), A McAlynn for McAtamney (63), B Gormley for Lynn (65), B McCallion for P Bradley (68).

SLIGO: P Greene; C Harrison, R Donovan, N Ewing; J Kelly, M Quinn, S McManus; J Kilcullen (0-1), B Egan; M Breheny (0-4, 0-3f), K Sweeney, P Hughes; D Kelly, A Marren (0-3, 0-3f), A McIntyre.

Subs used: K Cawley for McManus (half-time), F Quinn for Sweeney (43 mins), N Murphy for Hughes (53), K Byrne for Marren (62), S Gilmartin for Kilcullen (65).

Referee: Martin Higgins (Fermanagh).

More in this section


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up


Have the Irish Examiner delivered to your door. No delivery charge. Just pay the cover price.