Galway and Cork hurlers share spoils in 2-12 draw

Galway 2-12 Cork 2-12

Galway and Cork hurlers share spoils in 2-12 draw

Galway 2-12 Cork 2-12

By Declan Rooney

Galway could have taken a massive step towards top flight survival at Pearse Stadium this afternoon, but a Paudie O'Sullivan goal in the 60th minute meant the spoils were shared after a scrappy division 1A affair.

The two points looked certain to be claimed by Anthony Cunningham's side when Cyril Donnellan rattled the net in the 51st minute, but Cork battled back and two frees from sub Cian McCarthy and a Stephen Moylan point gave Cork a deserved draw.

Cork took a 1-7 to 1-6 lead in at the break, but it could have been so much more had they converted some of the ten wides they hit in that opening 35 minutes.

The home side had worries of their own however, and with just three players contributing to their 2-12 scoreline, Galway have much work to do ahead of their last game with Waterford.

But they had looked lively early on as Canning hit an early free and a point from play to give them an early cushion.

But Jimmy Barry-Murphy's side went on to hit four on the next five points as Patrick Hogan, Paudie O'Sullivan, and the very impressive Lorcan McLoughlin all got in on the act,

However, after they had edged ahead 0-4 to 0-3, Cork were struck with a severe blow when Davy Glennon goaled for the Tribesmen in the 21st minute, his crisp, low shot hitting the net leaving Anthony Nash with no chance.

McLoughkin hit a lovely point over his shoulder to reignite the Cork challenge, but with his injury and suspension woes behind him Donnellan hit a sweet point of his own from the right wing to give Galway the two point lead once again.

A pair of Canning frees gave Galway a decent lead approaching the break, but Nash crashed a penalty past Colm Callanan after Fergal Moore was harshly adjudged to have fouled Luke O'Farrell a minute from the break.

Canning hit a splendid side line cut a minute after the break and followed it up with his fourth free after Lehane and McLoughlin had both hit the target for Cork.

Donnellan and Canning had edged Galway ahead again by the 50th minute and a minute later the Tribesmen looked in total control when Donnellan hit the net after he fielded an arrowed cross from Davy Glennon at the edge of the square.

But Cork were not to be denied at least a point from their trip to Salthill and after Cian McCarthy hit a free and substitute Stephen Moylan chased it with a good point from play, O'Sullivan hit the crucial score.

Cork now face a sticky tie against Kilkenny next week where they will hope to earn their place in the league final, while Galway desperately need to pick up a win against Waterford to avoid a relegation play-off.


Galway: J Canning 0-10 (7f, 1sl), C Donnellan 1-2, D Glennon 1-0.

Cork: P O'Sullivan 1-1, A Nash 1-0 (1-0pen), L McLoughlin 0-3, C McCarthy 0-2 (2f), P Horgan (1f), P Cronin, W Egan, S Moylan, C Lehane & L O'Farrell 0-1 each.

Galway: C Calanan; F Moore, K Hynes, J Coen; A Harte, D Collins, N Donoghue; I Tannian, A Smith; J Cooney, J Canning, J Glynn; C Donnellan, D Hayes, D Glennon.

Subs: T Haran for Glennon (65), B Flaherty for Smith (68)

Cork: A Nash; S O'Neill, B Murphy, C O'Sullivan; C Joyce, P Cronin, W Egan; T Kenny, L McLoughlin; C Lehane, P O'Sullivan, S Harnedy; A Mannix, L O'Farrell, P Horgan.

Subs: C McCarthy for Harnedy (h-t), M Cussen for Horgan (45), S Moylan for Mannix (53), F O'Leary for Lehane (62), S White for Egan (65).

Referee: Janes Owens (Wexford).

More in this section

Puzzles logo

Puzzles hub


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up
Puzzles logo

Puzzles hub

Execution Time: 0.265 s