Deise and Rebels share the spoils

Waterford 0-15 Cork 1-12

Deise and Rebels share the spoils

Waterford 0-15 Cork 1-12

Waterford and Cork shared the spoils - 0-15 to 1-12 - after a hard-fought Allianz Hurling League contest at a wet and windy Fraher Field.

Brian O’Halloran’s brace had Waterford leading by 0-5 to 0-1 after 15 minutes. They ended the half with five unanswered scores to give them a 0-10 to 0-2 interval lead.

Stephen Moylan’s 41st-minute goal roused the Rebels who finished strongly, edging ahead through Conor Lehane and Peter O’Brien before Brian O’Sullivan and Seamus Prendergast secured the draw for the Déise.

In deplorable conditions in Dungarvan, Cork had clawed back an eight-point interval deficit to lead by two entering the dying minutes but in an exciting finish, Waterford applied ferocious pressure and deservedly levelled matters late on through O'Sullivan and Prendergast.

Waterford won the toss and played with the strong breeze in the first half. They pressed home that advantage in the opening exchanges. O’Halloran struck over two points from play, Pauric Mahony nailed two frees and Seamus Prendergast added one.

Patrick Horgan pegged one back for the Rebels on 16 minutes but they found it difficult to adapt to the testing conditions. It was to prove their last score of the half as Waterford hit five points without reply.

The Waterford half-back line of Jamie Nagle, Michael Walsh and Kevin Moran stamped their authority on a scrappy affair and the forwards kept the scoreboard ticking over.

Shane O’Sullivan, Brian O’Sullivan and Seamus Prendergast were all on target from play before Pauric Mahony and goalkeeper Stephen O’Keeffe landed frees to give a dominant Déise side a healthy half-time buffer.

On the resumption, the sodden surface continued to cut up but wind-assisted Cork received a boost when corner forward Moylan was quickest to react to whip the sliotar to the net.

Four swift points from the Rebels brought them back to within two (0-11 to 1-6), but Waterford bounced back through Pauric Mahony and Brian O’Sullivan to leave them four points up by the close of the third quarter.

Jimmy Barry-Murphy introduced William Egan and Conor Lehane and it had the desired effect as two points from the accurate Patrick Horgan and one from Lehane made it 0-13 to 1-9 entering the closing stages.

The Glen Rovers man equalised from a '65’ with five minutes remaining before Lehane nudged Cork in front for the first time. Peter O’Brien extended their lead to two but Waterford rallied again.

Brian O’Sullivan reduced the arrears to the minimum as Michael Ryan’s men bombarded the Cork goal. Net minder Anthony Nash produced two eye-catching saves before Prendergast conjured up the equaliser in the last minute of normal time.

Scorers - Waterford: P Mahony 0-5 (0-5f), S Prendergast, B O’Sullivan 0-3 each, B O’Halloran 0-2, S O’Sullivan, S O’Keeffe (0-1f) 0-1 each

Cork: P Horgan 0-7 (0-5f, 0-1 '65’), S Moylan 1-1, C Lehane 0-2, C McCarthy, P O’Brien 0-1 each

WATERFORD: S O’Keeffe; S Daniels, L Lawlor, S Fives; J Nagle, M Walsh, K Moran; S O’Sullivan, D Fives; B O’Halloran, P Mahony, S Prendergast; J Dillon, B O’Sullivan, S Walsh.

Subs used: P Prendergast for D Fives (26 mins), J Barron for S Walsh (44), M Shanahan for O’Halloran (62), R Barry for B O’Sullivan (68).

CORK: A Nash; S O’Neill, S McDonnell, C O’Sullivan; C Joyce, P Cronin, S White; L McLoughlin, D Kearney; C McCarthy, P O’Sullivan, S Harnedy; S Moylan, P O’Brien, P Horgan.

Subs used: C Lehane for Harnedy (48 mins), W Egan for McDonnell (54), T Kenny for McLoughlin (62), M Walsh for Kearney (65), L O’Farrell for P O’Sullivan (66).

Referee: Alan Kelly (Galway)

More in this section

Puzzles logo

Puzzles hub


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up
Puzzles logo

Puzzles hub

Execution Time: 0.225 s