Westmeath stay in front of league with draw

Galway 0-13 Westmeath 1-10

Westmeath stay in front of league with draw

Galway 0-13 Westmeath 1-10

Westmeath remain out in front in Allianz Football League Division 2 after drawing with Galway at Tuam Stadium.

Denis Corroon’s 54th-minute goal helped the Lakesiders come from six points down at the break, with Galway missing out on their second victory of the campaign.

The visitors finished strongly with substitute Michael Martin nailing three late frees, but midfielder John Heslin fired over a late leveller for the hard-working midlanders.

The Tribesmen had been in dominant form in the first half despite playing into the wind.

Eoin Concannon and terrific centre forward Paul Conroy pointed initially to set them on their way to 0-8 to 0-2 half-time lead.

Michael Meehan, who missed three early chances, and late inclusion Michael Boyle were also on target with Conroy ending the half with three points from play.

Although they enjoyed a decent chunk of possession, Westmeath could only muster a point apiece from Kieran Martin and Denis Glennon.

They kicked on though early in the second period, finding their shooting boots after a wides tally of six over the opening 35 minutes.

They had also missed goal-scoring chances through Ger Egan and Callum McCormack with Galway goalkeeper John Egan doing well to deny both players.

Martin (0-2), Glennon and Callum McCormack rattled off four unanswered points to get Westmeath back firing on all cylinders after the break.

Galway stopper Egan was unable to prevent Corroon from finding the net with a low shot after his Mullingar Shamrocks club-mate Ciaran Curley had provided the assist.

It was the first goal Galway had conceded in 194 minutes of league football this year.

That pushed the table toppers into a 1-8 to 0-10 lead.

Martin was deadly accurate from frees as Galway recovered well and a Gareth Bradshaw point inched them closer to the win until Heslin had the final say with his second point of the game.

Scorers: Galway: P Conroy 0-4, M Martin 0-3 (0-3f), M Meehan 0-2 (0-2f), G O’Donnell, M Boyle, E Concannon, G Bradshaw 0-1 each

Westmeath: D Corroon 1-0, K Martin 0-4 (0-2f), C McCormack, D Glennon, J Heslin 0-2 each

GALWAY: J Egan; J Duane, F Hanley, J Moore; G O’Donnell, G Sice, G Sweeney; N Coleman, A Griffin; J O’Brien, P Conroy, M Boyle; E Concannon, M Meehan, M Hehir.

Subs used: M Martin for Hehir (49 mins), G Bradshaw for Moore, C Doherty for Boyle (both 55), F O Curraoin for Griffin (62), S Armstrong for Meehan (65).

WESTMEATH: G Connaughton; M McCallon, K Gavin, K Maguire; M Curley, D Harte, J Dolan; D Corroon, J Heslin; G Egan, C McCormack, K Martin; R Foley, C Curley, D Glennon.

Subs used: J Gaffey for Harte, D Duffy for Foley (both half-time), P Bannon for Corroon (66 mins), Damien Dolan for Gavin (68).

Referee: Marty Duffy (Sligo).

More in this section


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up


Have the Irish Examiner delivered to your door. No delivery charge. Just pay the cover price.