Third win on the trot sees Tyrone go clear at top

Louth 0-13 Tyrone 2-13

Louth 0-13 Tyrone 2-13

Tyrone went clear at the top of NFL Division Two with a third successive win.

Previously unbeaten Louth had no answer to the Red Hand attacking power at the Gaelic Grounds in Drogheda.

Peter Harte and Damian McCaul both hit the net, and Harte had a penalty saved by Neil Gallagher.

But the Wee County could have had three goals themselves, with John Devine pulling off a trio of excellent saves.

Mark Brennan had given Louth an early lead, but Owen Mulligan and Kyle Coney were on target to ease wind-assisted Tyrone ahead by the fifth minute.

But Louth got to grips with their opponents at an early stage, and Peter Fitzpatrick’s side produced a spell of impressive football which saw Adrian Reid hit two points in the space of a minute to give them the lead.

They could have had a goal when Reid broke clear to fire in a shot which John Devine kept out with a foot.

Louth led by 0-4 to 0-2 after 10 minutes after wing back Ray Finnegan had slotted a point, but the Red Hands stepped up the tempo and hit a 1-2 salvo in the space of four minutes.

Coney thumped over a sweet score, and Martin Penrose converted a 40 metre free, before they struck for a goal in the 16th minute.

Peter Harte ran on to Niall McKenna’s pass to blast to the net for a massive Red Hand boost.

Louth rallied and Devine was called into action for the second time this time with a stunning save to deny Brennan, with Brian Donnelly converting the resultant ’45.

Two late frees, one a massive 55 metre effort from Harte, sent Tyrone in at the break with a 1-7 to 0-6 advantage.

It was Louth ‘keeper Neil Gallagher who produced heroics four minutes into the second half when he dived low to his right to save a Harte penalty, after Cathal McCarron had been hauled down.

But Tyrone did get their second goal in the 42nd minute, wing back Damian McCaul getting on the end of a move involving Harte and Coney to blast to the top corner of the net.

Louth responded again, pulling back points through Derek Maguire and Jim McEenaney

But they lost midfielder Paddy Keenan to a second yellow card with a quarter of an hour to play.

Louth did create scoring chances thereafter, but shot a succession of wides, before substitute Brian White slotted over a point, and Darren Clarke reduced the deficit to four.

But a strong Tyrone finish saw them tag on late points through man of the match McCarron, Mulligan and Mark Donnelly.

Louth scorers: D Maguire 0-3, D Crilly 0-2, M Brennan, P Keenan (f), R Finnegan, B Donnelly (’45), J McEneaney, B White, D Clarke, A McDonnell 0-1 each.

Tyrone scorers: P Harte 1-1 (0-1f), D McCaul 1-0, O Mulligan 0-3 (2f), K Coney, C McCarron, M Donnelly 0-2 each, N McKenna, P McNeice, M Penrose (f) 0-1 each.

Tyrone: J Devine, A McCrory, C Clarke, PJ Quinn, C McCarron, R McNabb, D McCaul, N McKenna, Joe McMahon, P Harte, Mark Donnelly, P McNeice, K Coney, M Penrose, O Mulligan.

Subs: C Cavanaagh for McKenna, S Cavanagh for Coney, R McMenamin for McCaul

Louth: N Gallagher, G Hoey, D Finnegan, J Carr, R Finnegan, M Fanning, L Shelvin, P Keenan, B Donnelly, D Crilly, A McDonnell, A Reid, D Maguire, R Carroll, M Brennan.

Subs: R Greene for Fanning, J McEneaney for Reid, D Clarke for Crilly, B White for Carroll, E O’Connor for Brennan

Referee: G McCormack (Dublin).

More in this section


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up