Tribesmen dish out first League defeat for Dubs

Dublin 0-14 Galway 2-11

Dublin 0-14 Galway 2-11

New Division 1 leaders Galway handed Dublin their first defeat in this year's Allianz Hurling League at Parnell Park.

The Dubs were made to pay for a plethora of wides - 19 in all - as Eanna Ryan's injury-time goal guided Galway to a gutsy win.

The Tribesmen recovered from a sluggish start to trail by 0-09 to 0-08 at half-time, with free-taker Ger Farragher scoring 0-05.

Cyril Donnellan’s 43rd-minute goal had the visitors ahead and although substitute Paul Ryan twice brought Dublin level, the points went west.

For this top of the table clash, Dublin had a fit-again Conal Keaney back in attack and Johnny McCaffrey installed as their new captain following Stephen Hiney's season-ending injury.

Farragher came through a late fitness test for Galway who were without the powerful Iarla Tannian. He is away attending a family wedding in America, and Joseph Cooney took his place at full-forward.

Galway manager John McIntyre also gave Damien Joyce his first start of 2011 at right corner back, with the visitors looking to avenge a recent Walsh Cup semi-final defeat to the Dubs.

But the 8,000-strong crowd watched Dublin canter ahead. A pass from David O'Callaghan played in Liam Rushe for the opening point after just 46 seconds.

Two points each from Keaney and Daire Plunkett stretched the lead out to 0-05 to 0-00. The pacy Plunkett delighted the home fans with successive points in the 7th and 9th minutes, the latter effort a superbly-struck shot on the run.

It was not until the 17th minute that Cooney landed a point from play for Galway's first score. Eanna Ryan had a goalbound shot saved by Dublin goalkeeper Gary Maguire, but gradually Galway got back in touch.

The westerners had to introduce Gerard O'Halloran for the injured David Collins. Soon though, it was Dublin who were encountering problems. Their wides tally spiralled to ten by the break and they lost their shape, allowing McIntyre's side to cancel out that early deficit.

Farragher and Aonghus Callanan shared out Galway's other first half scores. Farragher completed the scoring with a monster free in injury-time, replying to late points from Dublin's Conor McCormack and Plunkett.

An Eanna Ryan point had the sides level for the first time at 0-09 apiece early in the second half, and then fellow wing forward Donnellan drove through the heart of the Dublin defence before rifling home Galway's first goal.

Dublin did well to respond with three unanswered points, although Keaney had a penalty stopped on the goal-line after a foul on O'Callaghan. McCormack's third point from play and further scores from Keaney and substitute Paul Ryan had the sides level - 0-12 to 1-09.

The scores dried up as the helter-skelter pace of the game slackened off coming up to the hour mark. Donnellan pointed against the run of play to nose Galway in front again, with Dublin guilty of a number of missed opportunities at the other end.

Paul Ryan delivered a timely point and led Dublin's late charge, during which both he and O'Callaghan had goal attempts blocked by goalkeeper Colm Callanan and centre-back Tony Og Regan.

The match-winning moment for Galway came in injury-time when Eanna Ryan broke free and drilled a fine shot into the far corner of the Dublin net, denting the capital side's hopes of appearing in their first Division 1 final since 1946.

More in this section

Puzzles logo

Puzzles hub


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up
Puzzles logo

Puzzles hub

Execution Time: 0.207 s