Club football round-up

The provincial club Football Championships got underway in Ulster and Connacht today, while there was also plenty of county football final action across the country.

The provincial club Football Championships got underway in Ulster and Connacht today, while there was also plenty of county football final action across the country.

Naomh Conall drew first blood in the AIB Ulster Club Senior Football Championship, following a 1-12 to 0-11 victory over Kingscourt Stars at Kingscourt.

The Glenties outfit staged a strong second half display to account for the hosts, after trailing by 0-6 to 0-5 at half-time.

Under-21 star Leo McCloone bagged a vital goal for the eventual winners, 10 minutes from the end, to secure a quarter-final berth.

In Connacht, Roscommon champions St. Brigid's ran out comfortable 0-21 to 0-4 winners over Sligo side Eastern Harps at Kiltoom.

Eastern Harps played with the aid of a strong wind in the opening half, but Brigid's were in superb form.

All of Brigid's forwards were on target from play in the opening half as they built a 0-12 to 0-2 interval lead.

Brigid's failed to ease up on the restart as they moved 17 points clear. The results sees them advance to face Leitrim champions Glencar-Manorhamilton.

Meanwhile, there was county football final action in all four provinces. In Ulster, Crossmaglen claimed their 38th Armagh SFC title, thanks to a 1-11 to 1-8 win over Dromintee.

Just a point separated the sides in the opening stages, with Michael O'Rourke netting an early Dromintee goal.

Crossmaglen, who were without Jamie Clarke, continued to dig deep, with Francis Hanratty grabbing their goal as they won through to face reigning All-Ireland champions St. Gall's in the Ulster quarter-finals.

Burren were made to battle for their 12th Down SFC title.

They took a 1-14 to 1-13 victory over Bryansford at Pairc Esler in Newry.

Burren led by 1-7 to 1-5 at half-time, with Gerard McCartan netting their goal, as a response to a Callum King three-pointer after just 20 seconds.

This victory ensures that Burren edge ahead of Bryansford on the Down Championship roll of honour.

Vincent Corey netted the only goal of the game as Clontibret were crowned Monaghan champions, following their replayed encounter with Magheracloone.

Clontibret won back-to-back county titles courtesy of a 1-11 to 0-12 win.

In Leinster, former All-Ireland champions Kilmacud Crokes secured their second Dublin SFC title in three years, following a 2-12 to 0-11 win over St Brigids.

Second half goals from Brian Kavanagh and Mark Vaughan paved the way for their seventh county success in all.

Moorefield battled back from a five-point interval deficit to gain their sixth Kildare SFC title, thanks to a 0-13 to 1-8 win over Sarsfields at St Conleth's Park in Newbridge.

Morgan O'Sullivan netted the only goal of the hour to give Sarsfields a 1-4 to 0-2 interval lead, but Moorefield kicked seven unanswered points in the closing 15 minutes to take the honours.

Portlaoise won their 28th Laois SFC title, and a fourth in succession, when they beat Arles/Kilcruise by 1-8 to 0-8 at O'Moore Park.

The sides were tied on six occasions, including at the interval, with a late goal from Paul Cahillane sealing victory.

Rathvilly and Old Leighlin will have to meet again to decide who will be crowned Carlow SFC champions for 2010.

The sides played out a 0-7 to 0-7 draw at Dr. Cullen Park, with Seamus Kinsella missing a chance for an Old Leighlin winner late on. Rathvilly had led by 0-4 to 0-2 at the end of a low-scoring opening half.

In Munster, Dr. Crokes claimed their first Kerry Senior Football Championship crown since 2000 thanks to a 1-15 to 0-11 win over Austin Stacks.

Crokes led by 0-8 to 0-6 at half-time, and took charge in the second period. They turned on the style, with a goal from All-Star Colm Cooper powering the Kilarney outfit to a 1-11 to 0-9 lead approaching the 40th minute.

In Waterford, Stradbally won their 16th SFC title thanks to a slender 0-9 to 1-5 win over Ballinacourty.

Monaleen claimed their first Limerick SFC title since 2005, beating Adare on a 1-9 to 1-5 scoreline. Jason O'Brien goaled for Monaleen during a second half in which Adare failed to register a score.

Meanwhile, Nicky Joyce scored 1-5 as Killererin took Galway SFC honours following a 1-10 to 1-7 win over Corofin.

Killererin led by 1-5 to 1-2 at half-time, with Michael Farragher bagging 1-1 of Corofin's first-half tally.

A brace of Farragher points and a further Corofin score helped level the tie inside 10 minutes of the restart.

However, Killererin dug deep to claim their first county success since 2004.

More in this section

Sport Newsletter

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up