Young Dubs claim Leinster title

Dublin 2-15 Wexford 0-15, Parnell Park

Dublin 2-15 Wexford 0-15, Parnell Park

Daire Plunkett tallied up 1-3 as Dublin dug deep to claim their first Bord Gáis Energy Leinster Under-21 hurling title since 2007 at Parnell Park tonight.

Richie Staklelum's charges could afford 15 wides, including nine second-half misses, as they battled back from a two-point deficit to claim victory before a crowd of upwards 6,000.

Plunkett's 51st-minute goal paved the way for the home win after Wexford had battled their way into a hard-earned 0-13 to 0-11 lead, with free-taker Shane Tomkins claiming five points.

Dublin's scoring chances were at a premium during the opening quarter, with Wexford racing into a 0-6 to 0-2 lead in the 13th minute. Liam Og McGovern, Emmet Kent and Tomkins were all on target.

However, Shane Stapleton got Dublin back on track with their first score in 11 minutes, cutting the deficit to three points in the 17th minute.

Plunkett and Stapleton continued to cause damage before the break, but Wexford shaded a 0-8 to 0-7 interval lead.

A first half injury to Niall McMorrow failed to affect the Ballyboden attacker who slotted over three points from play, including two vital second half scores.

With free-taker Stapleton substituted, David Treacy took over placed ball duties, and the senior panellist was a key figure for to the Dubs in the second half.

The sides were level on three occasions inside 12 minutes of the restart, and despite Wexford pushing two points clear, Dublin were not going to let them build a match-winning lead.

Plunkett's goal sprung the Dubs to life, and although Wexford mounted some sustained pressure late on, substitute David Quinn netted a second three-pointer to ensure Dublin held out for their fourth Leinster success at this age grade.

DUBLIN: F McGarry; R Walsh. D Kelly, O Gough; R O'Loughlin, M Quilty, P Kelly (0-1, 0-1f); C Clinton, P Buckeridge; S Stapleton (0-3, 0-3f), L Rushe (0-1), D Plunkett (1-3); B O'Rorke, D Treacy (0-3, 0-2f), N McMorrow (0-3).

Subs used: D Quinn (1-0) for Stapleton (39 mins), A McEnerney for Clinton (47), D Whelan (0-1) for O'Loughlin (49), C Brennan for McMorrow (58).

WEXFORD: M Fanning; B McCormack, M O'Hanlon, E Doyle; S Murphy, A Shore, M O'Hanlon; E Moore (0-1), M O'Regan; L Og McGovern (0-4), S Tomkins (0-6, 0-4f), H Kehoe (0-1); E Kent (0-2), J Gahan, J Reck.

Subs used: P Morris for Murphy (16 mins), J Leacy for Tomkins (27-half-time, blood sub), J Leacy (0-1) for Reck (33), P Donnelly for O'Hanlon (54), J Breen for Doyle (59), T O'Leary for Kent (61)

Referee Dominic Connolly (Kilkenny)

More in this section


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up