Division 4 Round-up

Sligo 0-16 Waterford 1-11

Sligo 0-16 Waterford 1-11

Sligo secured promotion to NFL Division 3 next season following a strong second half display which earned Kevin Walsh’s charges a two-point victory at Markievicz Park.

The hosts put a bad start behind them as they turned a three-point interval deficit into a two-point win, with Adrian Marren top-scoring for Sligo with six points.

Waterford were much more eager in the opening half and aided by some impressive play by Liam O’Lionain, they led by 0-8 to 0-5 at the interval.

Aided by a stiff wind, Sligo slotted over four unanswered points within ten minutes of the restart with Marren, Alan Costello and DCU student David Kelly impressive.

Waterford came back into contention thanks to a goal from Gary Hurney, but Sligo were far hungrier in the closing stages and cemented the tight win.

Carlow 2-15 Wicklow 3-7

Carlow shocked Wicklow at Dr Cullen Park as Luke Dempsey’s side claimed their first league victory over their neighbours in 30 years.

This five-point win saw Carlow produce a gutsy display as they had to play with 14 men for much of the second half.

The Barrowsiders overcame a strong Wicklow start which saw Mick O’Dwyer's side bag two goals inside eight minutes including a Seanie Furlong effort.

Scores from Eric McCormack cut the gap to a point after Carlow overcame a seven-point deficit.

Although Wicklow completed a hat-trick before the interval thanks to a Cathal McNicholas goal to take a 3-3 to 0-9 lead, Carlow were stronger on the restart.

A Derek Hayden goal kick-started the comeback with a John Kavanagh point propelling Carlow into a lead they would not relinquish. An Eric McCormack goal at the death sealed a five-point victory for the hosts.

Leitrim 2-9 Clare 1-9

A strong opening quarter earned Leitrim a one-goal victory over Clare at Carrick-on-Shannon this afternoon.

A Colin Clarke goal saw the hosts take a 1-5 to 0-3 lead at the end of the first quarter and although Leitrim edged into an eight-point interval lead, Clare bounced back on the restart.

Both sides scored two points each inside 11 minutes of the restart with Dermot Reynolds and James Glancy on target for the hosts.

Timmy Ryan and Michael O’Shea took scores from play for Clare to leave the score at 2-7 to 0-5.

Declan Maxwell edged Leitrim nine points clear but Clare ralled with a Gary Brennan goal and a second Ryan point to cut the gap at 2-8 to 1-6 by the 50th minute

Clare continued to eat into Leitrim’s advantage and although the hosts only scored one point in the closing quarter, Mickey Moran’s side stood firm to take a three-point win.

London 2-12 Kilkenny 0-7

Kilkenny’s search for a first win in the campaign continues as goals in either half ensured London claimed a comfortable 11-point win over the Cats at Ruislip.

The Exiles led by 1-6 to 0-5 at half-time and failed to ease up in the second half as they picked up their second league win.

More in this section

Puzzles logo

Puzzles hub

Visit our brain gym where you will find simple and cryptic crosswords, sudoku puzzles and much more. Updated at midnight every day.


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up
Puzzles logo

Puzzles hub

Visit our brain gym where you will find simple and cryptic crosswords, sudoku puzzles and much more. Updated at midnight every day.