Dublin surprise Waterford

Dublin 0-15 Waterford 1-11

Dublin 0-15 Waterford 1-11

Dublin's resurgence under manager Anthony Daly continued at Parnell Park this afternoon as the placed ball brilliance of wing forward Alan McCrabbe saw them claim the scalp of Waterford.

Daly won the managerial battle with Waterford boss Davy Fitzgerald, his former Clare team-mate, as McCrabbe knocked over opportunity after opportunity.

In windy conditions, the Dubs showed poise under pressure to register their third win of the NHL Division 1 campaign and move up to second place in the table.

Early points from David Treacy and David O'Callaghan had Daly's men ahead but they were rocked back onto their heels when Stephen Molumphy netted for the Deise in the sixth minute.

He ran onto a ball in from Jamie Nagle to beat goalkeeper Gary Maguire from close range.

However, Waterford's shooting in general left a lot to be desired and by the half-time whistle, they had hit seven wides as against none from the home side.

Eoin Kelly had a five-point personal tally by that stage as Waterford, despite those misses, turned around with a 1-7 to 0-6 advantage.

Dublin were denied a goal in the 13th minute when McCrabbe's penalty attempt, after a foul on O'Callaghan, was blocked away from the line by wing back Richie Foley.

A three-point burst, midway through the half, from Kelly had the put the visitors on the right road and their goalkeeper Adrian Power who reacted smartly to prevent McCrabbe and O'Callaghan from picking up goals.

Waterford managed to extend their lead on the restart, with Gary Hurney bisecting the posts. However, by the 47th minute the battling Dubs had it back to a one-point game.

McCrabbe struck four points - three from frees and the other a '65' - before an excellent score from close to the left sideline from midfielder Shane Durkin brought his side back level.

Suddenly, Waterford looked in serious trouble as substitute Kevin Flynn nudged them hosts ahead and Waterford stopper Power had to be on his toes to scramble the ball away after a John McCaffrey sideline cut was almost redirected into the net.

Waterford rallied slightly with three late points from Kelly but Dublin were able to match that tally with man-of-the-match McCrabbe nabbing an injury-time point to seal the issue.

More in this section

Sport Newsletter

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up