CBS Charleville survive Gaelcholáiste Mhuire AG fightback

CBS Charleville 1-15 Gaelcholáiste Mhuire AG 0-15: A tale of two halves in Fermoy yesterday as CBS Charleville held off a tenacious fightback from Gaelcholáiste Mhuire to claim their first set of points in the Harty Cup. 

CBS Charleville survive Gaelcholáiste Mhuire AG fightback

The north Cork side had built up a 10-point lead by the interval but were made to work hard for the victory in this second round tie. They can be thankful too to their goalkeeper Cian Collins who, in a frenetic finish, made two terrific saves from Eoin Ó Neill.

Charleville had the wind in the first half and took full advantage racking up five points before Gaelcholáiste Mhuire got on the board. The game was a mere 20 seconds old when Sean Griffin claimed the opening point for the CBS and the productive corner-forward had landed two more points before he got in for a goal after collecting from midfielder Finbarr Cagney.

The lead stretched to 1-8 to 0-2 by the 20th minute. Craig Ó hAinfin, Evan Ó Siocháin and Eoin Ó Neill slotted over scores for the AG but with white flags coming fast and furious from Jack Barry, centre-back Paddy O’Loughlin and Griffin, CBS Charleville led at the break 1-13 to 0-6.

Both tasted defeat in their first round games, so a lot was at stake. Gaelcholáiste lost midfielder Donal Ó Conaing to injury, but a second-half improvement saw them reel off six unanswered points. As well as being defensively more assured, their forward line — Ó hAinfin, Ó Siocháin and Ó Neill — were picking off their points.

By the three-quarter mark, they trailed 0-12 to 1-13. A Jack Barry free was a welcome score for Charleville, but back came the AG once again and, through Ó hAinfin (2) and sub Blake Ó Murchú, they cut the gap to two points with the 60 minutes elapsed. Despite CBS only managing one point from play in the second half, Jack Barry’s effort was an important one at the death. Collins’ double saves too were vital in this narrow victory.

Scorers for CBS Charleville:

S Griffin (1-5, one free), J Barry (0-7, one free), P O’Loughlin (0-2 frees), PJ Herr (0-1).

Scorers for Gaelcholáiste Mhuire AG:

C Ó hAinfin (0-7, three frees, one 65m), E Ó Neill and E Ó Siocháin (0-3 each), D Bratham and B Ó Murchú (0-1 each).


C Collins (Charleville); D Hawe (Newtownshandrum), J Doyle Charleville), J O’Callaghan (Charleville); J Geary (Newtownshandrum), P O’Loughlin (Kilmallock, Capt), PJ Herr (Effin); Finbarr Cagney (Charleville), D Guiney (Newtownshandrum); A Fitzgerald (Bruree), J Barry (Charleville), J Meade (Charleville); T Cronnolly (Bruree), L Barrett (Ballyhea), S Griffin (Newtownshandrum).


J Fitzgerald (Croom) for A Fitzgerald, J Copps (Ballyhea) for J Meade (both 48).

GAELCHOLÁISTE MHUIRE AG: (Na Piarsaigh except where stated)

S Ó Meara; D Ó Connaire, C Ó Suilleabháin (Capt), C Ó hArgáin (Glen Rovers); L Ó Cochlan (Glen Rovers), J Ó Muireasa, J Ó Mathúna (St Vincent’s); K Ó hEathairn, D Ó Conaing; C Mac Giolla Chainnigh, C Ó hAinfin, D Braham (Glen Rovers); G Ó hEalaithe, E Ó Neill (Glen Rovers), E Ó Siocháin.


S Busteed (Glen Rovers) for D Ó Conaing (33 inj), R Mac Eochain (Glen Rovers0 for D Braham (46), B Ó Murchú for C Mac Giolla Chainnigh (52).


Diarmuid Kirwan (Cork).

More in this section

Sport Newsletter

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up